Chapter 5

A message

Beep. A text. A message. The noise is foreign - I haven't heard it in a long time or any sort of notification. I'd turned off notifications from feeds and haven't had any messages. It doesn't surprise me. If plans have not changed, Bess is still in Spain enjoying gorgeous weather and Tash staying with her grandparents. But that's hardly the only reason for no messages.

Curiosity unfurls inside me as I trudge over to where my mobile lies on the floor plugged into the charger on the wall. This was at Mum's request. Who could the message be from?

Hi, how are you? Back to school next week, are you ready?

Tash

I stare, dumb founded at the screen. Am I ready?No. Of course I'm not. I'm not ready in many ways but mostly not for this. It is all so out of the blue. Is there something else hidden within Tash's words? She wasn't really anyone to have messages within messages yet at the same time she's never been particularly blunt and to the point. "Stop looking into this too much." I tell myself.

Hi, I'm good thank you, and you? OK , I guess. How was your holiday?

I get rid of the last bit. It doesn't feel right. It's like I'm pretending nothing happened. Still, the words on the screen follow an unknown template strictly. So devoid of emotions. Formal and unlike how Tash and I usually spoke. But I didn't know how else how to reply. Nothing feels right. So, with critiquing thoughts in my head, I press send.