Chapter 6

School bag- the weight on our shoulders

Then.

"This bag is so cool! Mum have a look!" I pullef Mum over to a ruck sack that was bright and colourful with plenty of pockets.

"Let me see," smiled Mum knowingly. I had inherited her love of bags and it was clear from a young age when I had begged to have a glittery clutch, at five years old, when I saw Mum's own designer collection.

"Oh, it does look pretty good. Not a bad price either. Alright then, let's get it."

My eyes widened. Although Mum always had a soft spot for bag shopping, I didn't expect her to agree so quickly.

She nods,"Yes, but you can't use it until next school year OK? "

It was only February and the next school year seemed miles away but I agreed all the same. Of course I did.

Now.

It sits in the corner of my room, appearing abandoned but it's far from forgotten. Nor had that shopping trip but it seemed like ages ago. A different me then.

I start packing the bag. Chucking in old stuff from my previous rucksack. Most of the transaction went smoothly. Only the tube of smarties ruined it, the multi coloured chocolates soaring spectacularly as they flew out the packet. I sigh. They were old anyway. I pick them up quickly and chuck them into the bin.

And the last thing, my pencil case. I've had it for ages. The outside is dark with grime that just sort of builds up over time and the inside is even worse with bits that has come out of the sharpener. It doesn't just looks dirty it's also broken; the zip had come off a long time ago. As there was a Velcro flap, I had alwas just flipped that over the opening but I wasn't really that great for keeping stuff in.

Next, I try on my uniform. It's my last year in them and thankfully, if not only just, they do fit. I don't have any younger siblings so if my uniform didn't fit it would have been a waste to get it just for the last year. I stare at myself in the full length mirror that hangs on the wall in my room. I've grown considerably taller since I last checked and don't appear comfortable in my own body, like my heigt is too much for someone who wants too much to shrink.

Thanks for reading! Please comment and vte if you feel it's deserved :)

Storyseamstress