Losses Without Love

(This little part is from Silas, Abbey, and Nick's view. So that you can see each person's thoughts about this.)

•Silas•

Regret.

I regretted it. All of it. She didn't even hit the ground before I wanted her back. As I saw the life spill from her eyes, and the glassy look fade until all color was lost, I stood there, frozen.

Then, like her life, my artificial love for her was painfully ripped from my soul. It wasn't a slow process, and if I didn't have my wings, I would have fallen also.

A few minutes before, just before I told her those things, she had a look. A look about her, it said that she was unfocused. Unsure what was real. Then horror flashed across her face.

Then, as quick as it came, it left. Familiarity lit up her features, and she started walking towards me. No weapon. No shield. Nothing.

The shock that dissolved my heart was warm, and I sobbed into her shoulder. She knew. She knew she had to die. It must have been one of those visions Oracles have sometimes.

I watched, and watched, and watched Shelby fall until my attention directed to the look she gave me just before all light and life escaped from her eyes.

Pride. And not for herself. For me.

Joy. She was happy.

Bliss. She wasn't in pain.

The pain constricted me and I stood frozen and writhing mentally.

Tears strolled down my cheeks as I stared down at the angel falling below me. And once her fading eyes fell shut, her necklace flashed and light practically exploded behind my eyes.

And then I felt completely at rest. As bliss and fearlessness consumed me.

•Abbey•

As I watched, my best friend and my practical sister fall to her death, I shared a room with her son and a few citizens of The Garden of Eden. We watched an orb broadcasting what happened outside.

I sat paralyzed with fear and guilt. Guilt for the fact that I listened to Shelby. I hid when I should have fought. It wasn't right. I could have saved her.

Bryan and I held each other as we mourned Shelby. Our tears mixed on the ground as we grieved. The loss, the heartbreaking thought, was ripping my heart.

Until I saw the gleam of Shelby's necklace.

We all noticed it. Everyone in the room paused their mourning at once to watch her necklace through the orb. Then all at once, light blasted behind our eyes. It only tingled for a second.

Then bliss.

I felt completely at peace, like the heaviest things you could ever imagine was knocked off my shoulders.

I felt bliss, I felt love.

•Nick•

I stood a few yards away from where Shelby fell. The urge to vomit arose in my throat. I swallowed it back and tears sprung in my eyes for the feeling of heartbreak and loneliness replaced the sick feeling.

I ran.

I ran as fast as I could, like a bullet aiming for the heart.

No one moved except to let me through. Even the enemies. It was like everyone was star struck that someone actually won. Maybe they realized war wasn't what they really wanted.

That didn't matter. Nothing did. I didn't care.

Shelby was so close now, that I saw the shine of her necklace flare like fire on the moon. I jumped. My arms outstretched.

Then the flash of light.

It didn't hurt. Just rustled me.

And then the bliss. It felt like I pierced my soul with pure innocent happiness. Like babies laughter inside my chest. I closed my eyes and sighed of relief as I felt Shelby's body land in my arms.

And for a moment, I imagined and told myself she was only sleeping. Because she looked like it.