Chapter 3- Unexpected Angel

Yeah, I wasn't planning on staying there.

I was known as a pretty smart girl, with fantastic grades and stellar SAT scores. So maybe I could get myself out of this mess somehow.

Madison and I were in the same classes, every year. Our AP classes were hard work, but they looked pretty good on our records.

Let's just say, Madi and I weren't dumb.

So one day, we came up with a plan.

You see, this year was the year of the Fifa Cup 2006, otherwise knows as World Cup Soccer.

The guys went balistic over the thing...Matt coming into our cell once in a while to tell us the score. 

They were all for Spain, except for Matt, who was for England. It didn't surprise me however, because of his faint British accent.

I made an observation...as to how long they wouldn't keep and eye on us during the game. They would only come and check on us when there was a goal.

I explained this to Madi, who then realized what we were actually doing.

On the window to our cell, there's a break in the metal bar. It wouldn't take much push it open..maybe the strength of two 15 year olds. 

We could fit through the tiny opening in the window, and slip out into the woods.

We could manage it.

Just when we were processing our plan, Matt came in to talk to us.

"Well, uh." He started, ruffling his hair with his hand. "There's a game on Saturday...Spain vs. England...it's gonna be brutal! So uh..Sorry if we uh..disturb you?" he said, unsure.

Madi and I nodded.

Rob came into view, with Joe by his side. 

"Hey Matt!" Rob yelled, "We're going to get some drinks for Saturday's game. Watch them, okay?" He didn't wait for an answer, instead just waving and running out the door, zooming away in the car with Joe next to him.

Matt turned back to us, crouching down to where we were on the floor. He had a serious and concerned look on his face. 

"Listen girls. I don't want to be here as much as you do. I was taken the same way with my friend at your age..they killed my friend Steve and kept me to help with you two. I'd do anything to leave, and take you guys with me but.." he paused, hesitating. "I can't. Listen, I know what you two are up to and-" I interrupted him with my confusion.

"But how-" I started, but he finished for me.

"I can hear you guys, and see your expressions. Unlike those guys over there, I'm not stupid. I can help you." he said, running a hand through his brown hair again.

Madison looked shocked. "How?" she asked.

"They expect me to check on you every goal, then Rob'll take over for me. I can't take his shift, because he gets excited every time he sees you, Lucy." Matt said, staring at me. "I can distract him, so you guys can leave. Because that bar over there," he pointed at the broken bar in the window, "Is going to need a lot more than just the strength of two girls." 

Just then, we heard the rev of a car engine in the driveway. Matt jolted up, then kissed us both on the cheek, which was an oddly kind gesture.

"Good luck girls." he said with a sad look.

Matt bolted out of the cell, grabbed a book on the nearest shelf and began to "read" it, as Joe and Rob came in with a big pack of beer. 

"How were the little fairies? We got- hey, Matt...You're reading Moby Dick?" Joe said laughing, Rob joined in, teasing Matt.

"Yeah, sure. Why not." Matt said, throwing the book down, and heading back to the living room where they guys spent most of their days. 

I gave Madison a happy look, and she smiled back at me.

We were both relieved.

We were breaking out.