Chapter 4

Pain. That was all my mind could process the very moment it escaped the hands of unconsciousness. Every part of my body hurt like bitch, my chest and left shoulder in particular. I was a having a hard time opening my eyes. The tranquilizer had not yet fully worn off so I guessed I was only out for, more or less, an hour.

A few moments later, some of my senses were back. I could feel a soft bed beneath my body but I couldn’t hear anything. The bed made me confused though. If I was still alive, which I assumed I was since I still could feel intense body pain, then why was I lying on a comfortable bed? I was expecting myself to be in a cold smelly dungeon, so what’s with the place I was currently in? It was not like I was complaining, far from that, really. I was just curious.

I heard the door open. I stopped breathing and my body went rigid with tension. I heard two pairs of footsteps walking towards the bed where I was lying. They stopped at my left side. I could feel bizarre prickle along my left arm and leg which oddly lessen the excruciating pain.

“She was seriously beaten, Alpha,” a female voice said.

“I can see that,” a man growled making an unexpected shiver run down my spine. To say that I was confused would be the understatement of the year. The sensation that his voice and presence brought overwhelmed and puzzled me to no end. I didn’t even know him for goodness’ sake!

“I can hear her heartbeat but she’s not breathing,” the woman stated confusedly. I felt her hands inching closer to me waking my wolf up.

I caught her hand and opened my eyes to be greeted by her surprised ones.

“Don’t. Touch. Me.” I whispered menacingly. Her eyes grew larger with fear. I let her hand go which she pulled to herself immediately. She took a step back revealing a god beside him.

I gasp and the scent that I smelt before I passed out invaded my senses.

He smelt utterly familiar yet undeniably foreign.

He smelt like…home.

A small voice in my head reminded me that I didn’t have one. And that the one that I had long time ago never smelt like this. I was starting to confuse myself again with my colliding feelings and thoughts and it was adding more strain to the throbbing in my head.

Despite the oddity of the moment, my wolf felt safe and overly excited at the same time.

I was concentrating on getting it on with her until I found out what was happening. One word was whispered in my head. 

Mate.

My mind seized functioning for a moment. Was that the reason I was still alive lying on a comfortable bed after killing a member of this pack? Should I be thankful with this divine intervention? He probably saved me and I was grateful for that but seriously, a mate? My mate?