Breaking Bread

"Elsa, I'm going! I'll see you tomorrow morning!" Sabine said to one of the daytime bakers. The daytime bakers were responsible for baking the muffins and making donuts, things that don't need to proof or rise for a long period of time.

"Wait, Sab, don't you pass by Isla Terrace on your way home?" Elsa asked her.

"Yeah, why?"

"There's a birthday brunch there today, and Johnny is swamped with deliveries," Maria, the bakery owner said to her as she overheard the two bakers talking in the kitchen.

"Okay, what do you need me to do?"

"Can you deliver this cake? Take a cab, I'll give you some fare money."

"Sure, but aren't I a little early?"

"There should be someone setting up there now. The brunch starts at 9, but you should be fine."

"Okay, not a problem," Sabine smiled at her boss.

The cake was pretty large, but it was just a plain 11x13 sheet of two layer carrot cake with a cream cheese mousse filling and cream cheese frosting, so she was able to carry it on her own. Maria helped her get into the cab and told the cab driver the directions to the event venue. There wasn't much traffic on a Saturday morning, and she was there after about half an hour. As Maria promised, the caterers were already setting up when she arrived. She asked one of the caterers where to leave the cake and they pointed to the reach-in refrigerator in the kitchen. After leaving the cake, she walked outside the building and waited for a jeep to take home. She hadn't been standing outside for very long when she heard her name being yelled out loud. She looked up and saw Gael running across the street.

"Sab!"

"Oh, hi," she said, clearly taken aback.

"You've been successfully avoiding me," he said with a smirk.

"What? No, I haven't," she said defensively.

"I've been going to the coffee shop everyday hoping you'd stop by, but you never did. I was starting to lose hope."

"I told you I don't drink coffee outside of my house very much, right?"

"Hey, relax! I'm only pulling your leg," Gael finally said when he saw that Sabine was clearly getting distressed. "I was really hoping to see you again. It's been a month since our date."

"Oh, well, here I am," she said confused.

"What are you doing here? Are you going to the party?" he asked her.

"Oh no! You're funny! I just delivered the cake. How do you know about the party?"

"James Espinosa is a friend of mine. I'm a little early, I know."

'Yeah, the party doesn't start for another two hours," she looked at her watch.

"I was waiting for you to hopefully stop by the coffee shop," he winked at her.

"No...are you serious? Even on a Saturday?"

"And on Sundays, too."

"Now I know you're really joking. Nice one, Gael," she shook her head playfully.

Sabine stepped closer to the curb and waited for a jeep with her destination written on the side of it. She put her hand up to stop one when Gael grabbed her arm and stopped her. She looked up at him questioningly and he smiled. He was flirting with her, but she didn't even realize it. She didn't know how to read nonverbal social cues at all, she'd never had a member of the opposite sex pay much attention to her as much as Gael did.