The Eye of the Needle

"Sab, I have a gift for you," Gael approached her and handed her a gift bag.

"What's this for?" she took the bag reluctantly.

"I know your new assistant is starting tomorrow, and my days as your bodyguard is over," he said glumly. "Open it."

She took another look at him before she took a box of the paper bag. In it was the newest model of a popular and expensive smart phone, one that was just like his. Her eyes registered shock and she quickly stuffed it back in the bag.

"I can't accept this. This is too much; too expensive!" she handed him the bag back.

He took it from her and took the box and then the phone out of the box. He turned it on and waited for it to boot up.

"I've set up my number already, speed dial one," he winked at her. "I've already set a photo and a ringtone for me so you know it's me calling," he continued.

"Gael."

"And I already set up your number on my phone," he dialed his number using her phone, ignoring her. "See?" her fish face picture flashed on his screen. She couldn't help but laugh at that. "We have the same ringtone for each other. Corny? Maybe. But I don't care."

"Gael."

"What? Don't you like it?"

"I don't."

"I'll get you another model or brand. Which one do you like?"

"I can't accept presents from you. I don't really even understand our set up here. I'm just glad it's over soon."

"What?" he said hurt.

"I'm not sure what your intentions are. Are you courting me? Are you just friendly? Are you bored? I really have no idea. I'm really thankful for all the sleepless nights you've spent with me, and I don't know how to even begin to pay you back."

"First, by accepting this phone," he handed her the phone again. "Second, by answering yes to my next question."

"What question?" she asked with a creased forehead.

"Will you be my girlfriend?" he smiled at her.

"What?" she nearly fainted.

"Will you be my girlfriend?" he said gently but firmly. "These past few weeks here with you was me courting you. I've had flowers and chocolates sent to your house. I drive you home every morning. I love spending time with you; I love giving you what I think you'd like. This phone, it's a necessity. What if I'm not around and you have an emergency? You need to be able to call me or I need to be able to call you."

"Gael..."

"When I'm not with you, I worry about you. I wonder how you are, if you've gotten enough sleep even though I know you haven't. I wonder if you've eaten breakfast or lunch yet. I think about you all the time. I want to be with you all the time. I want to take care of you. I want to provide for you. I want to call you mine," he reached for her hands and held them in his.

"Gael, do you hear what you're saying?" she said as she tried to pull away.

"Yes. And I know I said those words with conviction," he held on to her hands tighter.

"We barely know each other, and you already want me as your girlfriend. Life is not that simple, Gael. You have to think about this more carefully."

"You invade my thoughts all the time. All I've done the past few weeks have been think about you. I know you're scared and that you have a lot of apprehensions, but I will do my best to ease your fears and to erase your worries."