Chapter 3 The Old Oak

"Come on Lucy, wake up!" Asa whispers nudging my face with his elbow. "Lily? Don't wake me so early! I don't want to go to school!" I say pulling my legs to my chest. "Lucy. It's Asa. Little brother? Lily isn't-" He stopped for a moment and looked to the ground, eyes watering. I come to my senses. "Oh Asa. What's wrong? What's the matter?" I say looking at him and squinting. "Oh nothing. Sorry I woke you so late but I'm really hungry" He held his small belly and grunted. "Sorry Asa, you'll have to wait until morning" I said though I new we'd be hungry for a long while after today. Well the only way we'll get food, is to hunt.

I wake as soon as the sun rises. I stare at Asa, laying silently asleep, smiling. His sandy coloured shabby hair frames his small, pale, pointy face. His skin as fresh as fallen snow and his posture like the willow tree, slouched over. That's probably why our last name is Willows. Asa Willows, Lucy Willows, Lily Willo-  Just saying her name makes me well up with tears. 

Asa wakes, yawning and stretching. His big green eyes sparkle like the dew drops. I wish my eyes were green and sparkly. Mine are blue like the colour of the ocean and my hair is light blond like the daffodils on the bank near the washing stream. All the Willows had light hair, especially Lily, hers was platinum, but a natural platinum. That's why mum called her Lily. Strong, courageous and a lot older than me. Well I'm only 13 but Lily was 16. Was 16. 

"Lucy?" "Where are we?". I reply "The Oak, the tree of intelligence. It's what mum used to paint." The branches seemed to be endless and the leaves lined the tree. "It looks really old! Like grampa used to look like". Asa said smiling at the tree. "That's true! Let's call it Oaky" I say suggesting a name that I thought he would like but his response surprised me. "How about... Old Oak Gramps?" "Yeah! That's a good name!" I respond. Now It's me, Asa, and grampa.