Chapter 5 Red Berries

Asa stared at the long thin branches, cascading of the thick tree trunk in front of him. 

"Lilies, Lilies, Tulips too, 

You love me and I love you,

One day you'll wake and see the sun,

Then we'll be free to dance and run"

Asa sings Lily's song over and over again, humming different parts and making harmonies to certain lines. He never fails to cheer me up. I join in. 

"Lilies, Lilies, Tulips too,

You love me and I love you,

One day you'll wake and see the sun,

Then we'll be free to dance and run"

His beautiful voice crossing over my croaky chant sounds like nails on a chalkboard but seems to almost sound okay. "What was the second part, Asa? You sound so beautiful when you sing this song" Asa blushes and looks away, trying to conceal the glee within him. "I don't remember, but Lily sang it to me the day she ---" Silence seems to fill the forest. "I'm Sorry... I----I" Asa says as his head falls to the ground. "No! Asa! You will not be sorry! Lily is probably sitting next to us right now. She has always and will always be with us okay?! Do you understand!?!" Asa smiles at me and whispers "Yes". A single icy tear slides down my hot face, streaming it's way down to the muddy ground. "I think you, Lucy, need some sleep" he says as he hugs me tight. Asa has always hugged me. I know a very nice tree that we could climb-" I rudely interrupt him "I found a lovely cave next to the river! Its perfect Asa!" "Fine... cave sounds okay." A sigh of relief slips out of my mouth. I couldn't climb a tree, not after.... 

"The suns setting and we need food Asa. See any animals or fruit when you were climbing?" "Yes! I did see a raspberry bush over there" Asa smiles with a huge grin on his face. "Okay leader Asa, show us these precious berries!" Asa marched through the trees, leaping over rocks and spinning on the autumn leaves. Then, there in front of us was a big bush of juicy berries. Asa's face turned to a frown. I reach out and pick off a berry, licking my lips. The berry enters my mouth and I chew hard. "Lucy, don't eat these okay? These are viola berries. They can cause bloodloss" Asa didn't see the berry enter my mouth. I try to cough it up violently, but the only thing that comes up instead was a pool of my blood. Blood drips through the gaps in my teeth and seeps onto the floor. I turn around to face Asa. He turns pale. "Lucy! You WILL die! Swallow it! Swallow it all!" I gulp ferociously to return the blood to my body but it comes back up, and brings about another litre with it. All I see is Asa standing over me, covered in my blood. 

Where are you Lily?! I need you.