0.01

Bright Nights

0.01

One Year Later

I looked down at the screen, I even pinched myself, scratched myself and smacked my head on the table. This could not be happening. I was so dead. I looked back to the screen and started tapping away on the keyboard. I had to get this guy out before Michael found out he was in.

I went into the bin files and started setting up a firewall to protect all the information I had.

I was almost done setting up the firewall when I heard the lock on my door turn. I ran and locked it from the inside. the door was pushed but whoever was out there wasn't coming in here anytime soon.

I heard him curse and start to bang on the door. It was Michael. Shit.

"Gemma! Open the fucking door before I shoot it down!" He yelled.

I finished setting up the firewall and ran to my bed. Using the covers as protection against Michael and his damned bullets. Yeah, childish I know, but it would have to do.

I waited patiently until I noticed he had stopped banging on the door and he was basically still. I stayed quiet because I knew the stillness wouldn't last very long.

Just as I was about to uncover myself and check, the bang came.

I watched him as he came in and thought I had been asleep through that. As if, idiot.

"Get up." He said sharply, going towards the desk and started to mess with my computer. Not being able to get past my main screen firewall, he turned around to look at me. "Someone got in."

I decided to act stupid.

"In where?"

"Don't act dumb. They got through your firewall."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"I tracked the IP address," he said fairly calm. "It was someone from your hometown."

I perked up when he said that.

"What?"

"We. Tracked. The. Little. Bitch. Down. To. Your. Fucking. Hometown." He said as if he was talking to a little kid, I mean minus the curse words. Because from the time I've known him, he's been around kids and has refrained from cursing.

"Why-who was it."

He smirked.

"Well wouldn't you love to know?" I simply nodded.

"Come on. The boss already knows what you did. He wants to see you."

"I didn't do shit."

"He certainly doesn't believe that."

"I don't care. My system has several firewalls. It couldn't have been that easy to penetrate. You know that Michael. Goddamn it, not even you could get through it."

"And that's why you're still here, babe. If I would have hacked my way through it, the boss wouldn't have you here."

I realized what that meant. Someone had gotten through my firewall. I was officially dead. Goodbye world. Nice being around these fucking nineteen years. Wasting my damn time helping criminals.

He pushed me down the familiar staircase, and into the study.

The chair, like in any dramatic cartel movie, was facing the windows behind it.

As soon as Michael knocked on the already open door, the chair spun towards us, and there he was. Lucas Carter.

I gulped. Not because he was some old ugly, repulsive man, but because even though he was the complete opposite, he still scared the shit out of me.

"Gemma, baby." He said smirking.

I blinked and looked down, like a little kid who had just gotten caught eating the cookies mom made.

Mom. I missed her like hell. Her and my sisters.

I saw a tear fall down onto my grey shirt.

I looked up and saw Lucas' face, he seemed pleased. As if he thought I was crying because of the fact that I thought he would kill me. Which I was scared shitless, but I obviously wasn't going to admit that to him. And besides, it wasn't enough to make me cry.

"I'm not scared of you." I told him.

"Really now?" He asked, he seemed amused, his father would have totally reacted differently.

I felt my jaw tick and sucked on my inner cheek.

"Yes."

He smiled and got up.

"I heard about what happened. Care to explain?"

"Not really."

He walked around the desk and towards me, his eyes were the scariest if imp honest. He had a murderous stare and the only time I saw an emotion, that wasn't hate or anger of course; was when his father died. His eyes are a scary looking dark brown eyes, and his hair is always perfectly styled back. I thought he was going to come towards me to hit me, but instead, he went towards Michael. He whispered something in his ear and closed the door once Michael had left.

"Who is it?" he asked, leaving his playful tone outside, he probably sent it out along with Michael.

"Who is who?"

"The person who hacked into your network."

"I have no clue. I told you. I don't know who it could be."

He laughed. "So you're telling me; that some random, unknown stranger, from your hometown was able to hack into our network with no troubles just because he woke up this morning and thought 'today is a wonderful fucking day to mess with drug dealers?' I don't fucking think so babe."

"I honestly don't know who it could be. You know everyone thinks I disappeared. It's been a year. No one is still looking for me."

"You know there is at least, one person who wouldn't give up, who would do anything to find you."

"No. actually I don't know anyone willing to waste a year of their lives, who also would know how to hack into a stupid ass drug dealer's system. It's not like it's a fucking website Lucas. It's your house's mainframe. They have to be able to know your location in order to hack into my computers so I suggest you find that fucker, because I don't appreciate the fact that you feel like murdering me because of him, her or them. For all we know, it could be the FBI or CIA."

He nodded and it seemed as if he was considering the fact that I was right. I knew I was right. I mean, it couldn't be Nate. As smart as he was, he always knew that what I did was wrong and that I would get consequences for it sooner or later, and here I am.

"You're right."

"I know I am." He rolled his eyes.

"I'm going to kill whoever the fuck this is. Go with Michael. I have someone I want you to meet. He's going to take you shopping and at eight you're meeting this... person." He smirked.

"Oh, and tell Michael to tell Adam to start packing up your room, in case we need to move."

"Lucas?"

"I have more important things to worry about Gemma."

"It'll just take a minute."

"What."

"Will you ever let me go?"

He smirked. "Never."

I felt my heart shatter. I wanted to leave this place I needed to if I wanted to stay sane and not become accustomed to this lifestyle of expensive things, drugs, murder and other illegal things.

He walked up to me and lifted my head up with his finger.

"You know what you can have if you say yes, my offer is still open," he said.

I simply nodded and started to walk to the door. There was no point in arguing with him anymore. It would never make him change his mind.