The Wanderer

Hello! This is the first prompt from the second day of writing that @Pebblemoon and I did together. It was a lot of fun, and though the prompt was the same for the first day, the time was a bit shorter and the content came out very different. But Dark. Always Dark. The next writing session we have will definitely be centered around being positive with the pictures. I'm happy to point out that this was Pebble's first, and as such it ended with the ambiguous awkward feeling that she was heading for, and not something much darker like I would have probably wrote. Does the picture remind anyone of Until Dawn? ANYONE?

As usual Pebble's text is in bold and mine is normal text. Enjoy!

~Blaze

Prompt: Write a story based on what you see in a picture. Time limit of about 6 minutes.

The Wanderer

A red sun blazes above the gray field, reaching out to the once-lush green grasses below. A lonely figure meanders upon the old dirt road. The destination is unknown, but the intent is clear. Long shadows cover the gray expanse, and a crow cackles in the distance.

The figure shivers. The moon reflects gleams of silver in its uncertain eyes. here is an air of tranquility and secrecy upon the area, and fog rolls in eerily, unsettling a group of crows. It is completely silent and still. The figure plows on, even farther into the gloom.

The scenery is beautiful yet simple, with gray hills tumbling into the distance and an orange glow from the half-finished sunset. The sun's rays slowly travel with the figure, falling further and further below the horizon until just an orange glow remains. Then the earth breathes a sigh of relief, as if a huge weight has been lifted from its shoulders. The trees rustle, ever so slightly, and the crows settle back onto the tree.

But the figure continues on its seemingly endless journey.

One might wonder where exactly the figure is going. There is no road. There is no path laid down for him that is visible to the human eye. Yet there could be a path, one carved by feet who traveled there thousands of years prior, feet of those who are remembered by none except perhaps he who walked the path at that moment.

The wind blew on and on, picking up slowly as the sun continued to wish the day a goodnight. As the sun lowered itself ever so slowly, the night too began to make his appearance. The cheerful warmth of the day was being sapped away from the lack of sun and the cool of night was making its presence clear.

A breeze came by, dancing gently against skin and raising goosebumps. The crows let out their fatal cries, greeting their night friends with lonely, coarse calls that filled those in the night with shivers.

Creatures of the night began peeking their heads from their nests, raccoons sticking their long, whiskered noses from their holes and curiously, cautiously smelling the night air. He found it was safe and gestured unseen for his family to emerge, leading them down a well known path to his source of food.

And you might ask yourself once more what the figure was looking for, what his journey would succumb to.

But even as you wonder, even as the day changes to night and life continues leaving your questions unanswered and your life changed, there is still one constant.

It continues, continued, on and on, unperturbed, never leaving from the path. Never stopping, always with one, unidentifiable goal in which the path is the start and end and the entire journey was as it was as the world continued beside it.

Even as it wanders, forever and always.