Father or Failure? (Part Two)

"Take a left at the end of the hall and it's the cell on the left."

"Thank you."

"No problem Miss Pulitzer."

Jacks head snapped up from the cold floor he had been laying on all night and hoisted himself to his feet. It was so cold in his cell that he could see his breath coming out in a rush. He clutched the cold metal bars of his living hell and waited anxiously as he listened to Katherine's foot steps growing louder.

"Jack?" He heard her call softly her footsteps slowing down.

"I'm in here." He said breathlessly feeling his fingers starting to cramp from the cold and from holding on so tightly.

"Hey are you all right?" She asked finally reaching him. Jack squeezed his eyes shut and pulled her in for a hug through the bars. Her hair smelt like strawberries and cinnamon, she always smelt like that, heck even her clothes and bed smelt like the delicious scent.

"Yea. Fine." He murmured holding her as tightly as the bars allowed. She felt so real and so alive in his arms, he could feel her breath on his neck and it comforted him. He didn't feel so much like a failure wrapped in her embrace.

"Look Jack-"

"I didn't do it." Jack said pulling away from her and grasping her hands in his. "I didn't steel any thing I swear and I never hurt that lady-"

"I know you didn't." Katherine said quickly her brown eyes big and reassuring.

Jack should of felt more relieved than he really did, of course he had already of known Katherine would believe him. He just wasn't to sure about his son.

"What about-"

"Peter... he-he will be just fine." Katherine said her eyes dropping to Jacks shoulder.

"Kath, what happened?" Jack asked already knowing the answer. If Peter was anything like himself (which he was) then he would be pretty upset.

Katherine sighed "Oh the same old, same old. He got irrational, clenched his jaw, stormed off somewhere to go paint something... sound familiar?"

Jack scoffed but knew deep down inside she was right, that's exactly what Jack would have done. At least Katherine was trying to make a joke about it, too bad it didn't make him feel any better.

"Hey." Katherine said softly and put her hands on either side of his face. "Don't worry about it, everything's going to be okay."

"But I'm in jail Ace." Jack said pulling her hands away.

"I know, I can see that Cowboy." She said sarcastically. "But I'm not kidding, I have everything under control."

"How?"

Katherine rolled her eyes "Your best friend is a Lawyer for goodness sake and your wife to be is the best Reporter in New York City and you've got about a hundred Newsies or so willing to back you up night and day!"

Jack had to smile at that, she seemed so Katherine in this moment. He had an overwhelming desire to kiss her.

"Ya think that's gonna work?" He asked reaching through the bars and stroking her face softly.

"Your trial is tomorrow morning at 9 AM, me an Davey have everything down to a science. I've already turned my article in about this situation and people all over New York will see it and hopefully want to come and support. Don't worry Jack, I've got your back." She said holding his hand against her face.