Chapter Five

Snap snap. Snap snap. Camera's lights flashed, on and off, then back to the former. The crime scenes seemed to gain more and more viewers as the population grew and as more news crews began to figure out the crime scenes before the detectives did. Snap snap.

Lights flashed everywhere, blinding the detective as she gingerly opened her eyes in a vain attempt to gain some awareness of her surrounding. Everything was so blurred and hard to see, it was as though her vision had gone from twenty-fifteen to twenty-two hundred. It was so blurred that she couldn't even make out any proper shapes, and trying to cover her eyes from the sun seemed to be an impossibility, considering the fact that her arm seemed to not be listening at the moment. In fact, the only thing that seemed to be paying attention at all was her eyelids, which fluttered, trying to get used to the new, blinding light.

Curious as to why her arm was not working, and the rest of her body too, Norbert tried a bit harder to get her eyes open and focus them. It seemed as though her brain had stopped listening too, seeing as though some of the signals it was sending certainly did not match up with some of the things she was asking her body to do. Such as sitting up and covering her eyes in some shade to get a good look at everything around her.

Finally shapes began to appear, and then trees. Or what seemed to be the outlines of trees, it was very hard to tell, something she could tell was that there was pain... Everywhere. A groan left her chapped lips and her green eyes struggled to focus on the leaves, and finally her eyes managed to get a grip with her situation and define what was above her. Pine leaves, from what she could tell they belonged to a pine tree, or maybe a spruce, they might have looked like Christmas trees as well, it was extremely hard to tell. She was sure that when she had a better idea of which direction was which she would be able to identify the tree type, one thing that she had liked about college was her personal paper for Environmental Sciences, which had to do with identifying trees and all of the reasons why cutting down trees should be made illegal. Clearly the world hadn't caught up with her forward thinking mind.

As if by some miracle, feeling seemed to pour throughout her body, probably as her body came out of shock and began to follow her thoughts lead on ideas of what was a good idea and what was not. Her head attempted to move, and managed slightly, using her arm to prop her body up slightly, though she couldn't put too much weight on it seeing as it seemed to be injured. The other was feeling worse though. Looking down as examined her body for a source for all of the pain that was radiating around her. Starting with her feet she saw that there was a decent amount of blood around her ankle and she assumed that it had been cut, not too badly though since it actually only stung a little. The second place it hurt, probably more than pretty much everything else was her knee, which she could see was at a bit of an odd angle and there was a much larger bloody patch on her slacks. Wrinkling her nose as a snobby woman who had just smelled something bad would do her eyes trailed further up. Her stomach was aching and she figured that was probably from the seatbelt, which apparently had somehow come undone in the crash seeing as she was no longer in her seat. Other than her leg there seemed to be no other serious injuries until she got to her shoulder, which appeared to be dislocated. There was no way she was going to be able to get that back in by herself, and she was hoping that she would soon see one of her partners for them to place it back in its natural socket. Magnolia was also hoping that when she did find them, they would be in better condition than she was and not dead like she was assuming.

After seeing all of her surroundings, the detective looked around her. There was a variety of different types of shrubbery and there were mainly pine trees, which she was narrowing down and almost certain were ponderosa pine's around her. Frowning she took in the scenery, there was a clearing, and a gorge in the dirt where she assumed the plane had caused when it ran into the ground. The trees had all been cut down as the plane flew into the ground and from the smoke that was coming up around a hundred feet in front of her she assumed that the plane had left her behind. She couldn't remember anything much, and gingerly she touched the back of her head were there was a bloodied mat of brunette hair. She rolled her eyes. Great, at least my head broke my fall. Not like I need that for anything. She thought sarcastically before searching for some feeling in her legs so that she could make it back to the plane.