Chapter Four

Everything was moving in slow motion, not like the movies in which the voices were slowed down the picture, but this was even worse than that. The screams that were starting to erupt from the standing people blurred her thoughts and she shook her head in a vain attempt to just get everything to stop.

And for a while, a longer while than she would have ever thought possible, she could do nothing but stare ahead. And even when she gained enough concentration for her to do anything about the events that were unfurling before her-she was stuck, frozen. It was as though her body had turned to stone, and instead of panicking like everyone else, she say there rigidly staring that the wall before her.

The plane continued the motion, and just kept diving towards the ground below. Everything seemed to be surreal, as though she was in a dream, and like in a dream she was just going through the motions and not able to control herself.

Magnolia closed her eyes, willing for her body to move. To do something. But it seemed almost impossible; everything seems impossible. How could this be happening? In what world did pilots decide to end their lives by putting down a plane with more than one hundred people on it? What kind of person would do that?

The first thing that came to her mind was her brother, her innocent, sweet, surfer boy, brother. The last conversation she'd had with him has not been a pleasant one. The had eaten dinner together for Thanksgiving as a tradition that they kept going since their parents had died. He had brought his fiancé of course, Drew, and all three of them had a pleasant evening until Magnolia decided to open her big mouth before thinking twice before.

It was much to vivid a memory.

Magnolia sat at the table, looking across at her brother without thinking too much on the religious aspects of Mia Bailey's life and immediately began to eat the dinner that she had prepared. The feast was being held at Magnolia's apartment on this particularly fine November evening, and it had totally slipped her mind that Mia always had to say grace in the beginning of the meal.

James cleared his throat at her ignorance and she glanced up to see that they were not eating, which caused her cheeks to burn. Putting down her fork slowly she guiltily looked over at them, which earned a disapproving look from James.

The other female that the table looked severely embarrassed, and not as though she was going to call out the detective on her behavior. James spoke before the young woman could say any apologies. "Did you forget something, Magnolia?"

A look of stubbornness crossed her face and she leaned back in her seat, crossing her arms. "As a matter of fact I did, I have a question. Why do you believe in these things in the first place, you know that they are just an easy way out."

She was not speaking to Mia, but more to her brother as it seemed that he had now begun to believe in these things after being with his girlfriend for so long. And the same stubborn face glared back at her.

"Or it's putting our faith in something other than booze."

"I don't believe that you, of all people, get to comment on my love of alcohol. Seeing as we share it. I also don't see where this conversation is going in the first place, so I think I'm going to revert back to my initial point."

"Oh, Magnolia, shut up and listen will you. This conversation isn't about your drinking or my new faith that has been developed because of Mia. This is about you."

Mia had since excused herself from the room, obviously not wanting to be apart of this family predicament that they had managed to get themselves into. Though she was polite about it, Magnolia was mad with her too because she was the one that got her brother into the obsession with God. Well, perhaps not an obsession, but he had never thought about going to church before all of this.