Chapter 1

Chapter One:

"I can't believe it's almost my turn!" I said to my friend Roisin, who was gently adding the finishing touches to my dress. We were backstage at the 2012 X-Factor semi-finals, and it was nearly my turn to perform. It was down to the final three contestants and two of them had already performed their first songs for the night. My skin was moist, my face feeling warm and sticky, I could barely breathe. I could already feel the butterflies circling around my stomach. "Don't worry you'll do great, you always do", Roisin was stating. I nodded in agreement but it didn't stop the nausea, filling up the pit of my stomach. I had performed in front of huge crowds for what seemed like a million times, but the nerves had still got to me. I had auditioned for this year's X-Factor, as I had been doing singing lessons for the past 2 years, and my tutor was amazed by my talent, and she asked me to audition for the show, so I did. Thinking it was a long shot to even make it past the auditions, I had advanced to the final three, with the grand finale just next week. Roisin was also a contestant, who I had pair auditioned with, but we later split up, as the judges thought our talent showed more performing separately. Roisin had gotten out 2 weeks earlier and had offered to help me with my performances. She was always there to calm me down and prep me up before concerts and I did the same to her. I never usually get nervous when I perform, I get an adrenaline rush, but this time circling in the back of my mind was the words 'guest judges'. Who could they be? What are they going to say? Will they like me? I had absolutely no idea who the guest-judges were, as the producers decided to keep it a secret until we reach the stage for our performance, where we are revealed to the audience and most of all........... the special guest-judges. I was anticipating the moment I would see their faces, when I heard this crash behind me. I turned around to see Zayn Malik all over Roisin trying to help her recollect the things she had dropped. "I'm so sorry", I heard Zayn mumble to Roisin, "Please, it's okay, nothing to worry about really", she managed to mutter. "Thanks", she said when she had all her things back and quickly rushed back to me before she could embarrass herself anymore. "Oh my gosh! What was that!" I yelped in excitement. "Ahhhh! Please don't", she exclaimed embarrassedly. "Okay, but you just ran into Zayn Malik! I wonder what he's doing here?" I questioned myself. "He might be one of, the guest judges, you know?" Roisin answered. "WHAT", I yelled nervously. "You're on in 30 seconds Kristen" the camera-man asked hastily. "Quickly get on the stage; you're going to be late!" Roisin shrieked. "Wait but........" I cried, but it was too late, I was already behind the curtains, waiting to be exposed to the audience and the judges.