Chapter 3

Aaliyah~

I stare at the ceiling. Nothing works. Getting his misleading eyes out of my head is impossible. The eyes I tried so hard to forget.

I look at the alarm clock. 3 in the morning. Great. I flip over and tightly shut my eyes, but I can't sleep. A million thoughts racing through my brain at a million miles an hour makes it impossible.

I get out of bed and walk down the hall. As I pass Riley's room, there's a loud knock at the door, I flinch at the sound and fold my arms across my chest. I look into Riley's room one more time and see her blonde hair sprawled out on her pillow.

I walk down the stairs, carefully. I look through the peephole of the door and see a person standing with a hood on. I open the door and my heart drops into my stomach, falling through my chest.

"Aaliyah." He breathes out. I back away, and close the door. Or try to at least. His hand props the door open and and he takes his hood off, showing his blonde hair. The same hair Riley has.

"What do you want Tyler? It's three in the morning." I harden my gaze, trying to ice him out, hoping he understands that I don't want him here.

"Can I come in?" I shake my head, grabbing the door and slightly shutting it.

"No. I don't think that's a good idea. The best thing for me and you would be for you to leave." He raises his eyebrow and extends his arms, palms raised, his eyes pleading with me.

"Just hear me out." I sigh and nod my head slightly, knowing I shouldn't cave. "When I saw you today with my baby girl-" I take a step closer, pushing him backwards with my finger digging into his chest.

"Don't you ever call her that." I basically spit venom at him, my voice raising as I speak.

"She is mine isn't she? Or were you so much of a whore that you don't even know who it is?" A cocky smirk falls upon his face and my hands fly up against his chest, sending him flying back onto the ground.

"Did you ever think about seeing her before she was born? Oh that's right. You left, Tyler, so obviously you didn't. Now you just come back begging for forgiveness, thinking everything was going to be okay? Did you actually believe I would even consider letting you see her? Because if you did, you're terribly mistaken. Her whole life she grew up without you, she doesn't need you, and we both know you'd flake out anyways. So go home, and don't come back. Riley will go to school on Monday, and you are not to even touch her, or so help me, I will kill you." I slam the door shut and put my back against it. I put my hands on my raging hot cheeks.

Did I just do that? I smile.

I did.

I walk upstairs, lay in my bed, and for once, I can actually get some sleep.

~

I wake up to the doorbell ringing. Memories of last night flood my mind and I pray Tyler isn't here again. I don't think I have the emotional stamina for that.

I hear the door open and I'm wide awake. I look at the clock. 9 A.M. I'm late. I groan as I throw the covers off of me, almost tripping as I walk to the dresser. I hurry and put pants and a hoodie on and run down the stairs. I meet the babysitter at the bottom.

"I'm sorry Aaliyah! I thought you were gone, so I let myself in." I sigh, the tight knot in my chest releasing.

"It's okay, I'm sorry I didn't answer the door." I run into the bathroom and brush my teeth, then throw my hair in a careless bun, I put my toms on and grab my purse. "I'll be home later!" I run out the door and start my car.

After a lengthy drive, I pull up to the tall, silver building. I stumble out of my car, running up to the doors. I fling the door open. My stuck up boss glares at me as I walk in.

"I'm so sorry I'm late-"

"I don't want to hear it. You're supposed to be interviewing right now, so hurry and meet him up the stairs." I push the button to the elevator and check my phone. I don't have time. I run up the stairs and try to compose myself a little before walking in the door.

"Hi. Sorry I'm so late I-" I turn around only to see Theo James smiling at me extending his hand. I stare at it, eyes wide.

"Now can I get that name of yours?" I'm breathless. I don't know if it's from his eyes, or the run up the stairs. Could be both. But I'm hoping it's the stairs. God, it better be the stairs.

"Aaliyah Carter." I finally put my hand in his and he shakes it. Seeing him again, I begin to wonder why I didn't give him my phone number.

"Okay, is there anything you need before we get started?" He looks around the room, and then shrugs his shoulders.

"I don't think so." I nod my head and sit down behind my desk, with my pen and paper in hand. I cross my legs, finally getting my breath back.

"So, Mr. James, is there anything new you're working on?" His eyebrows raise and his eyes shine as he talks about what he loves.

"Actually, yes. I've been working on a movie, I don't know if you've heard of it, it's called Divergent?" I nod, not wanting to seem too interested. Although I absolutely love the series.

"Yes I have. I've actually read the books too. I'm really looking forward to it. So, I know Shailene Woodley stars in that show, correct?"

"Yes it is." By the look on his face, I can tell that he knows what my next question will be.

"Are you and Shailene a couple? Or maybe planning to be?" A hint of curiosity stains my voice.

He shakes his head, and I try to hide my sigh of surprised relief. "No, strictly just friends, but I would like to get to know you better." I laugh, but don't say anything. I just look down at my scribbled writing.

"What are your plans for later in your career? Maybe after Divergent finishes filming?" He chuckles as I ignore his statement. This is my job. And if it doesn't get done, I could get fired.

It's definitely not the thought of going on a date that

"How about I take you out for dinner?" I laugh again, but he doesn't seem to be joking. "That's what I can being doing later in my career." I finally look up at him, hope behind his eyes.

"Tell me, Mr. James, how that would be a career move?" I lean forward on my desk.

"Who knows, maybe you could be a billionaire screen writer and an interviewer on the side." I laugh and lean back in my chair.

"I can assure you, that that is not the case." He smiles at me, and I can't help but smile too.

"Oh, c'mon. What harm would it do?"

"I don't even know you. I'm just an interviewer, and you're a famous celebrity. And that's about all I know about this." I gesture between the two of us, and he leans forward, his arms resting on his knees.

"This will be a chance to get to know each other, love. Take a chance. I'm not all that bad." He winks at me and my heart flutters.

"I'm not sure.." he can sense how hesitant I am when my eyes fall down to my fidgeting hands. He leans forward and rips a sticky-note from desk.

"Can I borrow your pen?" I hand it over to him, our hands touching. He scrawls onto the paper and extends his hand out to me,"just think about it." I nod and gaze up at him as he walks out the door, sending me one more glance before shutting it.

I look down at the sticky-note and smile.

He gave me his phone number.