Another Shot Chapter 8

DPOV
"Mommy!" Stasiya squealed in surprise and grinned in happiness when she spotted Rose.
"Hey baby girl!" Rose grinned back. I could already tell this second baby and us being back together, being a family, was helping lighten the weight on her shoulders. This year off and second baby was going to be good for her. At least I hoped so.

Rose sat on the bleachers while I gave Stasiya an Elite equivalent training. It would always break my heart how harshly trained my kindy-baby was. I knew that even when she was a senior and days away from graduation my heart would always break over the intensity of her training.

"Who's staying where for the rest of the year?" I asked Rose at dinner a week later. We'd been switching each night so far. As she progressed I knew it wasn't going to be healthy or safe, or practical to keep it up.
"You're going to need the spare room turned nursery once I return to duty. So why don't you move in now?"
I grinned and nodded. I kissed her. I agreed with her entirely. My dorm was no place to raise a newborn.

After a month Stasiya started getting suspicious as to why Rose wasn't leaving. That doesn't mean she didn't revel in her mother's presence and attention, because she certainly did. It just meant that Stasiya sensed something bigger was going on. And that wasn't that there was suddenly no more Strigoi for her Mommy to hunt.

"Mommy? Are you and Daddy having a baby?" she asked one afternoon a fortnight after I noticed her suspicions. While she was stretching for training. Rose and I hadn't planned on telling her until Rose was another month and a half along. Apparently she was even more astute than we gave her credit for being.
"What makes say that, sweetie?" I asked in shock.
"Mommy's tummy's bigger, Daddy. And I don't know, she's happier, you're both happier. And Mommy's here, still. And I think I heard Tony say Mommy has another aura."

Tony was her best friend Katrine's big brother. He was close with Stasiya and six years older than her. He also specialised in spirit and worked with Lissa when she was on campus.

I looked to where Rose sat next to me in our favourite storeroom chair. She sighed and nodded. We looked at our eldest with a loving but stern expression.
"Anastasiya Louiz Belikov, it's true, you are going to be a big sister," Rose announced.
"But you can't tell anyone yet," I warned when she was about to squeal. "If Mommy's not careful she'll lose the baby and you don't want to have to tell your friends that if it happens, do you?"
Stasi shook her head. "No, Daddy."