Another Shot, Chapter 6

"Dimitri- bloody- Belikov!" Rose screeched through the phone at the start of a call early one morning nearly a month after I'd returned to the Academy.
"Roza?!" I let all my worry and concern show in my voice. "What's wrong?"
"Thanks to you I'll be back in three days. And I'm off for a year!"
"What?!"
"I'm pregnant again you loveable idiot!"
"Uh oh. Not another Stasiya in the world."
"Yes. Another Stasiya in the world. And, I'm sorry you aren't the first to know-"
"All good. You're a Hunter currently on mission, it's a safety thing for them know earlier."
"God, how did I end up with you?"
"Simple. You're you, and you exist. Enough said. Oh, and I love you. It's impossible not to." That made her laugh.
"Says the one who walked out on his pregnant soulmate!" she teased.
"Screw you!" I returned the banter, then sobered. "Rose, I'm so-"
"You've done that- more than once. And no need to apologise. I'm totally addicted. I love you and am absolutely addicted. I can't hate you, it's simply impossible. Your actions or choices? Sometimes. But you? It's absolutely impossible."
"God woman. I love you too. So Stasiya and I get you to ourselves for a year?"
"Yup. Well, you have to share me with Bubby number two."
"What about the Moroi?"
"Tatiana's said Stasiya's little sibling will not be compromised. I'm unofficially 'stripped' for the year."
"I still can't believe Tatiana didn't throw me in jail."
"How could she when Stasiya's a purebred? That, and you'd already left by the time it came up. I also suspect Adrian may have pulled strings."
"Ugh. Ivashkov and his obsession with you."
"Jealous?" My woman was sort of teasing, but was also insanely curious.
"Kind of. Mainly, I'm pissed off by the disrespectful way he treated you. Not that I can speak, I probably- scratch that- I did treat you worse than he did."
"Hey! Not cool. We had laws to worry about, as well as Lissa's wellbeing and safety since I was supposed to graduate to be her near guard. Your actions were understandable-"
"Not Christmas and the ski lodge."
"I tried the same thing, so yes, even that's understandable. And forgivable."
"Not really, student or not, you were still my soulmate and I shouldn't have treated you that way. You didn't deserve it."
"Yes. I did. I was being a selfish bitch and you didn't need me pushing you. I should have just accepted your reasoning and left it at that."
"God, Roza. You had every right to push me. I needed the wake-up call that you needed me, that I needed you. I still do."
"Hmm. So do I, Dimitri. Now more than ever with a year off and baby Belikov number two on the way."
"I love you, Roza. Really."
"I love you too, Dimitri. I hate to say this, Comrade. But I've gotta go. I'll see you soon enough."
"I look forward to it. And I'm assuming you want to surprise Stasiya?"
"Yeah, I do."
"I love you, Milaya. I'll see you soon."
"I love you too, Comrade. Later."
"See you, Rose." This was the stereotypical 'I need to hang up, but can't stand the thought of breaking contact with you, no- you hang up first' kind of ending to her call. After a sigh of reluctance, she disconnected.

I couldn't believe it. I was getting a second supposed-to-be-impossible child. And Roza all to myself for a year. Well... Not quite to myself, but I was happy to share with our special miracle children.

I fell back asleep pretty quickly. But was woken up what felt like mere minutes later, by my alarm telling me it was time to meet my daughter for training. Ugh. She was an adorable handful, but couldn't quite pull me out of bed like my Roza had always done.