The Looking Glass

The dais functioned only briefly, and in that time I found one answer and a dozen more questions. Most maddening of all is Amanda. It's impossible to separate the truth she knows from the nonsense she believes. It's time to return to Bolivia and finally learn what these ancient artifacts can do. Amanda must want to activate the stone dais as well. Perhaps she knows its purpose, or only thinks she does. Only time will tell.

I return to Tiwanaku and pass through the passages, traps and chambers I already know. I realize Amanda's team have returned to this place for there are wires and equipments every where. That sure makes it easier for me to get by. It's not just that I'm on a hurry, but also I can't hold this anxiety for much longer. The answers I've been looking for are probably just up ahead and I have never been that close before - not even with the Scion.

Unfortunately, I'm not the only one seeking for something in here. By the time I reach the the Stone Dais location, Amanda and Rutland are already there with their henchmen and guns. It seems they've been waiting for me. James is the first one to notice my arrival. He waves a hand for me and Amanda turns her head up to see me.

"I'm going to need a clear head for this, lads." I tell Zip and Alister over the headset. "No distractions, please."

"Good luck!" Zip replies.

They settled a zip line in order to replace the bridge they've destroyed last time we were here. I use it to reach the platform where they're already waiting for me. This time, I'm not coming for the sport, so I take the Excalibur sword from my back and make it clear that they are not welcome here.

"Anyone between me and that stone dies." I announce while walking toward the dais.

"Stop!" Amanda screams and hold her pendant right away. "I don't want anything bad to happen, but it will if you come any closer."

I ignore Amanda's warning and keep moving forward. I've listened to all of her nonsense for too long and I had enough it. I swing the sword and a green glowing blast of energy throw them away like papers to the wind.

"Kill her", Rutland says.

Kill me? Let's see about that. I deal with the men with the heavy guns first and then attack the other ones while I avoid being shot. Amanda is lying on the floor and Rutland is trying to get to her. I don't know if she's dead or only unconscious. After all I've been through, I really don't care anymore. Nothing is gonna take away this moment from me.

During the battle against the mercenaries, reinforcements arrive via the zip lines leading down to the platform, but even all of those armed men are no match for me while I'm wielding Excalibur. A few bullets scratch my body, but the power of the artifact in addition to this site restore my wounds.

"James!", I hear Amanda's voice and realize she's getting up. Rutland is already on his feet, but walks in pain.

"...Amanda... See... You..." Rutland gasps and falls to Amanda's arms. These are the exact same words he uttered in Ghana while he was agonizing. What is he trying to say?

"Oh, God... James..." Amanda is desperate. She starts to cry in the moment Rutland rolls aside, dead.

"I'm sorry, Amanda. Truly." I approach them. Amanda keep weeping over her lover's body.

I walk away. Now that no one else is here to disturb me, time to do what I came here to do.

"What are you doing!?" Amanda screams. "Stay away from there!"

"It's what I came for." I calmly turn to Amanda and say. She gets up her feet and grips the amulet she found in Paraíso. "You don't need that." I advise her. "We can both do this."