Chapter 3

Billion Dollar Secret

Chapter 3

Green lifeless eye stared back at her. Anna looked at her sister, Amelia's skin marred with injuries. Her lively blond hair was not as red as blood. "Anna...Help me." Her sister's meek voice echoed in her ears. Anna extended her hands to her sister, to help her, but Amelia's body melted away leaving her alone in the darkness.

"You killed Amelia! You bitch!"

"How could you do this to your own sister?!"

"She killed Amelia!"

Anna's eyes blurred as figures after figures raised their hand accusing her for killing her sister. She recognised her friends, her colleagues, her acquaintances as they pointed their fingers at her. Anna enfolded her ears in her hands to block the screaming.

"I didn't kill Amelia...I didn't kill Amelia..." Anna chanted. She screamed as the people around her crowded her, suffocating her, enclosing her in lies.

Wake up Anna...

"You killed Amelia.."

It's just a dream...

"You are the killer.."

Honey, wake up...

"Anna, wake up honey. You are dreaming." A soft voice called out.

Anna opened her eyes slowly and shut it back from the intense headache. She felt a warm hand stroking her hair. She yawned and opened her eyes. A man sat beside her in his shorts and shirt. He had short black hair and black eyes. "Dante?" She asked hoarsely, surprised from the unexpected company.

She looked around the room and was stunned to see green walls instead of her blue ones. She immediately unwrapped herself from the sheets and was relieved to find her clothes intact. She looked back at Dante confused, "What am I doing here?" She asked.

"Did you sleep well?" Dante asked, distracting Anna from her question. She nodded her head, "Yes, I slept fine." She raised her hand to her head, massaging it, "But my head is paining." Dante nodded his head and immediately handed her aspirin and a glass of water. Anna thanked him and gulped down the medicine and the water. She placed the glass back on the nightstand and looked out of the window. The sun was shining brightly and the birds were chirping outside.

"Oh my god!" Anna gasped "I am late for work." She got out of the bed and turned to Dante, "Why didn't you wake me up early? My boss is going to kill me today!" She chastised. Dante looked at her speechless. He realised that Anna didn't remember anything that happened yesterday and he didn't know how to break the news to her calmly.

Anna exited the bedroom with the intent of going back to her apartment to change for work. Dante followed her helplessly. Anna stilled on the middle of the stairs and gripped the handle tightly in her hand as she recalled everything that happened yesterday. Anna remembered those lifeless green eyes and blood...

"Amelia? Where is Amelia?" Anna asked, eyes widening. Dante slowly came forward and held her hand so as not to scare her. "Everything is fine Anna. Let's sit and talk." He suggested. Anna however ran to the door to see her sister. Dante caught Anna by her waist before she could open the door and moved her away from it.

"Let me go! Leave me alone." Anna screamed. Dante tightened his hold on her, "Calm down Anna." She squirmed in his hold. Fed up of the unnecessary struggled, he explained the truth. "Anna, Amelia is dead." She suddenly went still in his hands.