Chapter 4

Billion Dollar Secret

Chapter 4

William stretched his hands above his head tiredly and raked his hand in his brown hair. Being an FBI Special Agent is very tough job and one has to work day and night until the criminal is caught. He had just completed the case and he was currently making a report when he heard a knock on the door. He snapped his head at the person. It was none other than the Director, Andrews. He immediately got up and saluted him.

"Sir." William said. Andrews nodded his head in acknowledgement. "William, I got a case for you." William forced himself not to groan. Andrews slid down a picture on the desk and William immediately took it and scanned the files, the picture of the victim. The victim was a girl, her body was twisted uncharacteristically and blood pooled around her.

He knew those injury marks it was the same wounds that he had seen on eight other victims. The cut on the neck, the blood assembled around the head, indicating that she was stuck in the back of the head, and the injury on the wrist.

William looked up at the Director, "Where did this happen?" He asked.

"New York." Andrews replied.

"When?" William questioned further.

"Two days ago, I was searching for evidence for a case in the police station when I came across this file and I realized it looked similar to the case you were working on hence I borrowed the picture so you could look at it." Andrews explained. William passed the picture back to Andrews. Andrews raised his eyebrows, "You don't want to work on this case, William?"

William smiled cynically, "You want me to work on the case that I failed to do?"

Andrews observed William; he knew that William was very smart, talented and hardworking man. William was one of his favourite agents. The Director placed his hand on William's shoulder steadily, "You don't need to beat yourself up for the mistake that happened because of someone else. If anyone can find the killer it will be you. I trust you. So are you ready or should I give these files to someone else."

Nine victims, five places, one killer. William knew who was responsible for this crime. The killer slipped out of his hands due to a silly mistake made by his colleague giving him a red mark in his record. This was the only case which he couldn't solve and he was ashamed about it. He also knew that this was his golden opportunity to prove himself and get back his pride. William nodded his head and accepted.

"I will talk to the head of the police department of New York and make the arrangements to transfer the files for you and I want you to take Mitch with you. He is the probationary agent, he is very good in his work and I want him to learn from you." Andrews said to William and he nodded his head in approval.

----xxxxoooxxx----

"Where in New York are we going, sir?" Mitch asked from beside William. They had boarded the plane to New York and William was scanning the file. He looked up from the file to the trainee beside him. Mitch looked like the typical nerd with the spectacles and his short red hair. He had started questioning him since they had stepped into the plane. William knew the extent of enthusiasm to work on the first case as he had been through the same. He controlled his irritation and answered Mitch's curiosity calmly, "Kingston." William shrugged.

"Is it the same case, the one you couldn't solve, Sir?" Mitch asked and bit his lips when he realised his mistake. William narrowed his eyes at the trainee.

William was known for his temper in the department and everyone knew better than to make William angry. He didn't like anyone insulting him, especially a trainee that was working under him. William slammed the file shut and fully turned to look at the trainee with a menacing glare. "Let's get this straight. I am your senior and I won't tolerate when my subordinate insult me. I couldn't catch the killer because some stupid person made a very stupid mistake letting the killer know about our whereabouts. I wanted to work on this case alone, but the Director was adamant to let you learn from me. So watch your mouth while talking to me otherwise I will send you back from where you came, do you understand me?"

Mitch gulped, "Yes, sir. Sorry, sir." William returned back to his files without any more words and Mitch sighed in relief.

Mitch watched William from the corner of his eyes. William Knight, the special agent, was one of the handsomest men he had seen in the department. Girls swooned over his thick brown hair and dark blue eyes. It is customary knowledge that girls faint over William's smile. William was not only known for his beauty but also for his work. He had completed all the case he had been working on except this one.

Mitch considered William as his role-model. He wanted to be smart and cunning like him when he got promoted. Mitch was known for his brains and the Director also appreciated it. He was the only guy who got selected from the thirty applicants. Working as a trainee he was bullied for his nerdy appearance and many were jealous for his brains. He was also awarded for creating hacking-free software for the FBI to store the data. He was recommended by the Director for his first on-field task and he was more than ready to be successful.

----xxxxooooxxxx----