Appreciating Life

The theme of Our Town is to appreciate life and all of its moments. In the beginning of act one in the play Our Town it shows the daily life of everyone who lives in Grover's corner New Hampshire. The children go to school the father go to work and the mother do the house work and keep everyone in line. Act two demonstrates falling in love and getting married. Between the characters Emily Webb and George Gibbs we see them truly fall in love by being honest and not taking things too harshly. Traveling back and forth in time we see also how scary it can be to get married even though they are the person you love, and after marriage the person who will always be right by your side till death.

In act three of Our Town we see the part of life that is death. Emily has died in childbirth and her funeral is in progress. As we see Emily Webb sitting in her grave she talks to people among the dead. Mrs. Gibbs, her mother in law, the town drunk who committed suicide and Mrs. Soames one of the townspeople in Grover's corner. Emily finds it hard to let go of life and finds that she can go and relive any moment of her past. All of the dead warn her not to go and watch but she does any way. She decided to revisit her 12th birthday, one like any other birthday. As she watches everyone she becomes very sad. None of the living appreciate what they are doing right in the moment and they won't take one to look at one another and appreciate each other.

Most of the time we don't take a moment and live in the fact that we are happy or that we have friends or that something so small could be such a great moment and we should treasure it. I can't say that I have always treasured each moment of my existence. But with the advice given to me a long time ago. To find three positive things that happened in your day no matter how big or how small, try and focus on those things, especially if the day you are having is not the greatest. In looking at the smallest positives of the day. seeing a friend, having ice cream, or getting an "A" on a test. It's the small things we must learn to appreciate in life. Then if we can do that maybe we won't be shut up in our boxes without knowing how great life truly is.