The Meeting

The windows were in the small diner were all steamed up by the hot air the inhabitants were breathing out. It was raining outside the little edifice, as I’d known it would be. I was in the right place in the right time now I just needed the future to fall into check and a certain blond haired ex-soldier with the most battle scars I’d ever seen to arrive on time.

The weather had been the same damp drizzly rain all week. I still didn’t have an exact date for his arrival, all I knew was it would be raining.

I had searched the back of my mind for a long time but nothing came up.

It was at times like this that I realized how useless my talent was, it could only be helpful if I saw what I needed to see. It was rare that it ever happened; the future wasn’t as interesting as you would believe.

From where I sat at the counter I could see the entire restaurant.

To pass the time I watched them, all the people getting on with their lives.

There were three collections of humans at three different tables. The first set was a group of four. There were two women and their children. One had blond hair tied into a bun and wore a green, leaf-printed dress. At her side was a little boy dressed in beige pants and a knitted pullover. By the amount of times the name had been called I was sure the boy was called Timothy. He seemed unable to sit still for up to three minutes and his mother never stopped reprimanding him.

The other woman had red hair and was dressed in yellow, as was her daughter who sat quietly beside her. The little girl hadn’t suffered her Mom’s hair color. Her hair was a deep chocolate brown. She wore a yellow bow in her hair, matching her Mother perfectly.

At another table a girl, who was around my age, judging by her height. She was sitting alone, sipping at some type of hot drink while reading over a textbook. She had dark, almost black, hair and wore rounded glasses.

At the third table was another family, a Mother, Father and two older sons. They were all smartly dressed with solemn expressions. I wondered what had given them reason to be upset. One of the sons, who looked about fifteen, was holding a cardboard box. On the lid of the box were the words Sidney and Skylar Raymond scrawled on the lid. I listened in to their conversation, trying to find out why they looked so upset.

I was distracted instantly by the most amazing aroma I had ever came across. I breathed in as heavily as I could, trying to get as much of the smell as I could.

It smelled like a mixture of caramel, coffee and cocoa. It was sweet but somehow not feminine. I knew straight away who the scent belonged to; there was only one species on this planet that could have a natural scent so sweet and intoxicating.

I was right, only seconds later the scene I’d watched only once was replaying in front of me.

 A tall, somewhat muscular male in his late teens to early twenties walked through the doorway. His honey-blond, soft curls were saturated from the rain as was the gray waistcoat and his discolored white shirt had almost turned diaphanous. He was keeping his eyes to the floor his throat was taut and his eyes, wide.

He looked very uncomfortable with the situation he was in. His eyes flicked forward and they met mine. I froze; if my heart could beat it would have been pounding. He looked even more beautiful in reality. His scent was the most amazing thing I had ever smelled and that was without seeing him.

I walked over to him as slowly as I could, trying desperately to keep placing my feet on the ground evenly, one after the other.

He watched me as I neared him, his eyes showed a lot of suspicion. I kept walking till I was a yards distance from him; my neck had to bend right back so I could meet his eyes.