Chapter 4: Unexpected Call

CHAPTER 4

❤ Charlotte Ferrans ❤

What I was feeling cannot even be described. It was a mixture of shock, confusion, fear, and anger.

Pure anger.

I was raging right now. How in the world could they have picked me for God's sake! Whoever picked me must've been a loon.

A loon that I was going to kill after I killed Christina. She locked herself in her room after they announced my name and also the phone has been ringing none stop. We were getting phone calls from friends, family, my mom's co-workers! This was just a mess.

I pounded my hand on the white door that had a 'Chrissy's Room' sign on it. "Christina, open the freaking door!" I commanded. I was not in the mood for this crap. "Only if you don't kill me!" A muffled, squeaky voice came from the other side. I huffed as I muttered, "No promises."

Raising my hand to pound on the door again, I was stopped by my mother who was holding her cell phone. She looked stressed and tired, only at the age of forty-six. Guilt instantly washed through me as I realized I was being selfish and acting like a baby, instead of being mature about this whole situation. I didn't think it would cause stress to my mom.

"Honey," she sighed, "I think you might want to take this." I let my eyes fall on the phone that was held out to me. I cautiously took it from her hands and placed it on my ear.

"Hello?" I asked slowly, not knowing who was at the other end.

"Hey, Charlotte. This is the producer of Alexander Jacobs's Dating Show. How're you doing?" A masculine voice asked from the other line. "Hm. Let's see, I graduated today so I'm pretty happy about that...." I commented, not letting my anger out just yet.

"That's nice." The voice answered. "Hm. Oh yeah! I got picked on the show that I hate the most for who knows what reason, all because my sister played a joke and sent in an application." I bitterly huffed. A deep chuckle came from the other end. "Well, nothing you can do, miss. When Alex saw your application he immediately wanted you as a contestant." For some reason, I had a feeling this guy was smirking. Bastard.

"Excuse me?" The man huffed offendedly. Oops. Damn. I've really got to stop talking my thoughts out loud. I remember one time when I was six and my mom asked me who ate a cookie before dinner. I immediately said no. I mean, I was a six year old and the cookie just looked too freaking tempting. Anyways, after I said no, I didn't realize that I was saying my thoughts out loud which was, "Whew. That cookie was delicious though." Yeah. I should probably stay on topic now.

I bit my lip before saying, "Nothing! Er- why would Alexander Jacobs want me as a contestant if one of my hobbies is hating him?" I placed a hand on my hip, waiting for his answer. Honestly, what's the logic in that? It's like someone asking for peanuts, but they hate peanuts. It doesn't go together or make sense! Okay, that was a pretty lame comparison, but still.

"Because I was intrigued by your application Ms. Ferrans." A different deep, husky voice answered. My eyes grew wide as my mind thought of who this might be. "Who is this?" I lamely asked. A chuckle came from husky voice. "Charlotte Ferrans, I think you know exactly who I am."

I shook my head even though I knew he couldn't see it. "Uh-uh. This shit only happens in movies, so no, you are not Alexander Jacobs." I declared a bit louder so Chrissy would just come out of her room. Suddenly, the door was flung open to a very excited looking Christina.

"OMG. Is that Alexander Jacobs? NO EFFIN WAY! NO EFFIN WAY! OHMYGOD. EVERYTHING IS GREAT AND WONDERFUL!" She yelled, not sparing anyone's ears. "OMG! ALEXANDER, I LOVE YOU!" She was closing the distance so she could hear, but I kept pushed her away. The voice laughed before yelling, "Love you too!" I didn't think it would be loud enough for Chrissy to hear since I kept pushing her away, but the swoon look on her face told me otherwise.

"I think I just died." She whispered in a haze, "My life is complete. My life has no meaning anymore." She dreamily sighed, staring off into space. I sadly shook my head. This is what it takes to make her life complete? Jeez.

"Dude. Why the hell would you pick me of I hate you?" I asked incredulously. "Only an idiot, like you, would do such a thing." A chuckle rang through my ears in surprise. "Just like I'd thought you'd be. Your application, Charlotte Ferrans, intrigues me very much and it's going to make this season very, very entertaining."

I was about to fire something back when Chrissy sent it. "HE'S NOT AN IDIOT! UGH, CHAR! STOP EMBARRASSING ME!" Embarrassing her!? Are you kidding me!

A laugh broke me out of my thoughts. "I take it that your sister's a fan?" Alex asked. "Yup." I simply answered before adding, "and is idiot number two who signed me up for this stupid thing."

"Anyways, it was nice chatting with you, but I have to get down to business." He stated with authority leaking in his voice. "You will be transported from New York to California. Don't worry, everything is paid. You will be flown in on June 18th and filming will already be happening. Now, I know you're going to argue with me so, see ya!" With that the line ended. With a groan of confusion and frustration, I entered Chrissy room.

Just a couple minutes ago, I was a happy person who just graduated high school. Now, I'm a confused and angry contestant that is forced to go on a stupid reality tv show. Yeah, because reality tv shows are always real.

Not.

So I stood there, just processing what happened. Shock was long gone. Anger and irritation filled my body greatly. I lifted my eyes off the ground and they landed on my sister who was still looking crazy. She had a goofy smile on her face and she seemed distant. Taking this opportunity, I lunged at her. This sent us flying backwards on the bed.

My sister shrieked at the sudden collision. "CHARLOTTE, GET THE HELL OFF ME." She tried to thrash her arms out of my grasp, but miserably failed.

"YOU ARE SO DEAD!"

"MOM-"

"WILL BOTH OF YOU JUST FUCKING STOP?"

Silence immediately filled the room. Me and Christina were frozen in our position as we looked at my brother. Who was looking quite pissed, might I add.

"Look Char, I know you don't want to go on that game show, but just do it. There will be other girls so he doesn't have to pick you. Just think of it as a mini vacation to California. You'll be in and then right out." My brother cooly said. He stuffed his hands in his pockets and shrugged, leaving me and Christina with shocked looks on out faces. My brother was never the problem solver in the family- he caused the problem most of the time. So hearing that come out of his mouth was really, really weird.

With a sigh, I jumped off the bed and walked to my room. Grabbing the vintage looking notebook that I call my Song Book, (I know, very original.) I started writing. If I'm ever in a mood and my feelings are all jumbled, I write. I guess it started when Dad left. But thats a story for another time.

First it started with poems. Then eventually, the poems became lyrics.

I do dabble in music a bit, I play guitar and piano, but it's something I dont take as seriously as other people. I see it as just a side hobby.

Several written lyrics later, I grabbed my suitcase that I haven't touched since I came home from my family reunion in Georgia. I shuddered. That was a very awkward family reunion.

Enough said.

I gave a frustrated sigh before turning to Jam, who looked very relaxed as he sat on my bed.

"Well, Jam, guess I'm spending my summer in Los Angeles."

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hope you enjoyed the chapter and thanks for reading!

Also, if you like, check out my other book. You can find it on my profile.

~Becky