Smile

(Mystrade)

There was something so sweet about Greg's smile. It was so full of pure joy and happiness that it brought light to even the darkest if times. Even during the middle of the night when Mycroft had stayed up to finish off work and the room had become lonely and cold to the point that he could feel goosebumps on every part of his body Lestrade would wander in, looking tired and mildly chilled, embrace his from behind and mutter about how he had found Mycroft still wasn't in bed and he could always feel the smile against his cheek when Greg kissed it, melting away all the cold and exhaustion from his body so that he was able to stand and follow Greg back to bed.

Mycroft could always distinctly remember one particular time when Lestrade had been resting his head against Mycroft's chest. They were both sitting, reading and enjoying the silence of each others company. The room had been filled with a smokey sent from the near by crackling fire and the two were resting against Lestrade's couch, something Mycroft didn't do often but once again a smile from Greg had encouraged him, with Lestrade resting comfortably on top of him.

Mycroft remembered quite clearly how Gregory seemed to enjoy his novel. Every few moments he would feel a smile against his chest, one of those pure smiles that made Mycroft melt inside. He stared to find it fairly difficult to pay complete attention to his own reading when Lestrade was smiling almost every few seconds. after about a minute of this, Lestrade noticed.

"Is something wrong, love?" Lestrade questioned, shifting to look up at Mycroft with concern. Mycroft shook his head in response.

"What makes you think something's wrong?" As he spoke he watched the concern melt from Lestrade's face and found it replaced with another of his stunning smiles.

"You slowed down your reading time. Usually you'd have turned the page by now. Are you stuck on a really hard word or something?" He teased, moving sitting up slightly and leaning in until he was close enough to press a little kiss to Mycroft's lips. Mycroft could just about die with that smile against his own lips, even if it lasted under a second.

"There's nothing wrong I swear." Mycroft assured, feeling his lips twitch into their own little smile. Once again, however, Greg seemed worried. Confused and also mildly concerned Mycroft spoke, "Greg?"

"You'd tell me if something was wrong, right?" Lestrade asked, hiding his face away into Mycroft's neck. Now extremely concerned, Mrcroft replied.

"Of course I would. You'd do the same, wouldn't you?" Greg nodded silently. For a moment the only sound was the fire crackling in the background before Mycroft finally asked, "Do you think I'm hiding something from you?" There was a moment of quiet once again before Greg responded.

"I know you; I know what you like, what you dislike and what you read. I know that if something was wrong you wouldn't want to tell me and I know that the whole time we've been here your heart's been randomly beating harder and faster." There was a moment where Mycroft processed these words. It wasn't exactly difficult to comprehend or anything like that but rather it had more to do to with the fact that Mycroft was trying to understand at what point his heart rate would pick up. A few seconds passes before it dawned on him.

Shit...

It was every time he smiled.

Mycroft shut his eyes and sighed even though he could feel all the blood rushing toward his face. He shifted slightly, clearing his throat before responding, "Oh, that," which caused Greg to look up and raise his eyebrows, clearly unimpressed.

"Are you going to tell me what's going on?" Lestrade demanded.

"Of course, see, you clearly didn't realise... I mean its not likely something anyone would notice," Mycroft stammered while Greg continued to stare with some mixture of concern and mild anger and Mycroft avoided his glare. "I mean honestly I'm actually surprised you noticed at all, after all you never noticed before-"

"How long has this been going on?" Lestrade questioned, some part of him clearly quite upset about being left in the dark.

"Gregory, I swear to you, I am fine. It's not a physical problem or anything, it's not a problem at all." Mycroft explained. He shifted again before continuing, "It's just that, every now and then while you were reading you'd smile and..." Mycroft trailed off feeling his face turn red as he did. The words had clearly calmed Lestrade who now looked mildly shocked more so than anything.

"You're joking aren't you?" Lestrade asked after a moment. Mycroft shook his head, mildly annoyed at his own body's ridiculous idea of 'functioning', but mostly glad that Lestrade was no longer looking so concerned. Lestrade rested his hand on Mycroft's chest and gave him a small kiss. Once again Mycroft could feel that small smile that made his heart flutter. Greg laughed quietly as he pulled away, muttering, "You're so cute."

"Finally all my dreams have been realised. I'm truly cute." Mycroft replied sarcastically making Greg smile again and once again Mycroft's heart melted under the pure joy in his smile.

Happy Halloween you nerds.

This is not Halloween related at all tho. Still, enjoy the Mystrade fluff

-the loser who writes things for people