The Boy with an Ex-Girlfriend

"EARLY UPDATE SO MAKE SURE YOU'VE READ THE LAST CHAPTER "The Girl in the Hospital" Before this one!

My head is pounding when I wake up -a dull throb that makes me want to squeeze my eyes shut and force myself back into a dreamless slumber.

But, something stops me.

Or, rather, someone.

Strong arms embrace me; one stroking my back repeatedly, sending a shiver down my spine that I hope he doesn't notice, and the other holding my head to his chest. I'm confused for half a second until the memories from last night wash over me.

Waking up from the same nightmare that has haunted me for almost a year -a memory of a day that is still painfully ingrained in my mind. The day that made me want to leave Him for the first time.

The memory of that day triggered by the nurse asking me about old injuries about the surgery. The surgery that ruined me.

I was sobbing, desperately calling out to Harry for comfort as the images flashed through my mind. My whole body trembling, heaving, falling apart at just the thought of it.

But, then Harry answered my calls and he held me, he comforted me, he squeezed me so hard I had to stay together and somehow... I was fine again. He made me fine again.

He was the light in my darkness.

And this plain fact has my heart hammering in my chest as I clutch onto his shirt. I try to even out my breaths, slow them down so it appears as if I am still asleep.

Because, some part of me doesn't want this to end.

I want to stay like this -him holding me to his chest, caressing me mindlessly. Peaceful, affectionate, still.

But, then an image flashes in my brain: a crucial part of last night that has my veins turning to ice and my cheeks lighting aflame.

I kissed him.

I kissed him.

My throat grows dry, and my hands start to clam up, and I swear my heart is beating like a hummingbird at my actions last night.

Partly because it thrills me and partly because it terrifies me.

Thrills me because of the spark between us, because I never wanted to stop. Because the feeling of his fingers against my skin, the petal-soft caress of his lips, the gentle way he held me had my body thrumming like an electric current and my heart revving like an engine.

Terrifies me because it shouldn't.

Because of Jaime and Him and the fact that even the idea of being with him nearly has me having a panic attack. This is what makes me pull away.

With so much reluctance it even surprises me, I make myself yawn loudly and pull away from his embrace. I ignore the sharp pain that comes from moving my head and open my eyes to find soft emerald ones already trained on me.

"Morning Red."

It's ridiculous how the tiniest of smiles can make my heart race this much.

"Morning Curly."

The smile grows and so does the speed of my pulse.

He watches me carefully, tracing every feature of my face with his eyes, searching for something. The soft green of his iris is cautious, like a trainer approaching the lion's cage. I know that he is waiting for me to deny what happened. To freak out.

He is prepping himself for heartache.

A part of me knows I should deny it, should pretend it never happened. But, an even bigger part of me has me keeping my mouth shut. Instead I choose to answer his gaze with one of my own -soft and scared and I see his shoulders visibly relax.