Chapter 3: Battle Rounds

I’ve never been in his bed before. It’s just like I expected. Large, luxurious, warm... Cream sheets and beige pillows. Stylish.

His walls are covered with large, glossy A4 posters of famous artists and song lyrics. Music runs through my veins, is scrawled on a black poster, with cursive white writing.

He looks so peaceful. Lying on his side, his back facing me, I gulp when I see the curve of his back, the shape of his muscles... And his tattoos. There’s a small, hard-to-read tattoo, inked just under his hair line.

I trace it with my finger, until I can’t take it anymore, and I kiss it. The warmth of his skin.

I can hear him slowly waking up, stretching out in an exhale.

“Morning, Mr O’Donoghue,” I smile into his skin.

“Lea?” He sounds so sleepy, blurry I almost feel sorry for him.

“I’m here.”

 struggle not to laugh when I see him.

His hair sticks out in odd places, sleep’s still in his eyes, and his eyes are just opening.

I can see the cogs in his brain whirring, trying to remember what happened. Then, his eyes widen as he remembers. “Oh my... Lea, I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be sorry.”

He ducks his head, blushing. Is Danny...shy?

“I went too far last night, didn’t I?”

No. I wanted to. We both did.”

We hadn’t actually talked about it, but up until now, all we’d done is kiss. Never gone this far. He cares about me. Too much to not worry about whether her over-stepped the boundary. He didn’t.

Then, it hits me. The Voice. Rehearsal. Danny.

“What time is it?”

“Six.”

Flood of relief. I have an hour left.

“Since we have time...” I put my hand on his chest. His steady heart beat, which beats faster with my touch. His eyes twinkle. Our lips meet again, for a searing kiss.

He’s mine now. Nothing can tear us away from each other.

Today’s the day Danny announces the first pairing for the battles. With a week and a half left until the Battle Rounds, things are getting tense. I almost forget about the competition, when I’m with Danny. Suddenly, it’s not as important. I don’t care about ‘fame’ or ‘recognition’. 

I didn’t say a word to Andrea this morning. We were all too worried about the battles. Even Angel looked wide-eyed. We all stood there, in a semi circle, facing Danny, waiting for the two names that would change two of our lives.

“The first two people are”-he pauses, grinning-“Angel and Lea!”

I feel like a bucket of ice-cold water’s been poured all over my back. Angel. She was a strong candidate. There was no way I could defeat her.

“This will be fun.” Angel grins, showing more teeth than necessary, red lipstick glinting in the light. Since we knew the cameras were on us, some of us had dressed up. I tried to smooth down my hair from last night.

I catch Danny’s eye, and heat floods my cheeks when I think of what we did last night. His hands...

Danny pulls us aside, away from the group so they can’t hear, and says, “I know it’s scary, but you’re both very capable singers. I want you both to know, whoever goes out, doesn’t mean they’re a bad singer. It’s going to be a tough decision to make.”