Chapter 4: Losing you

A/N: Hi, so I realised I'd never actually posted an author's note on here. This is just a thanks to my recent followers, mpa123 and louisevb. I wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your comments, and how it encourages me to keep writing. So, thanks. :)

On with the story!

Danny’s reminder is like an echo in my head. We haven’t got long left. He’s right. There’s precisely a week left until my battle. Neglecting the rest, he coaches us, slowly and patiently, getting us to repeat a note when we waver, or hesitate. I begin to wonder what would happen if I got sent home: would Danny do that? Would he choose Angel to stay instead of me? She’s a better singer than me and he has a job to do. I don’t know if it weighs as heavily in his mind than mine, but he spends minutes away, brooding. I need to do something. Maybe a word of comfort, or a promise I’ll win.

But I can’t guarantee that. Before, it never occurred to me I may leave this competition, and never see Danny again. The Voice is what has brought us together, and I’m not prepared to lose that.

Angel leans heavily on the piano, her mouth glinting with red lipstick. “So what are we singing, Danny?”

Before he can answer, one of the camera men shout, “two minutes until filming, people!”

They’ve come in, expecting to shoot a brief scene for the first episode of Battle Rounds, shattering the peace we have. Even Jake’s unsettled. He runs a hand through his hair, making an effort to look reasonable for the camera. But it’ll be Angel and I that the cameras will be mainly pointed at. Danny’s expected to reveal the person who’ll be helping him to mentor us.

Andrea’s radiating excitement. It glows off her and whizzes around the room, never touching anything.

“It’s going to be so much fun. I can’t wait to see who it is,” she giggles. “I hope it’s someone cute. Though not as cute as Danny- rawr!”

I only smile at her, pretending I don’t feel uncomfortable every time she makes a reference towards Danny. If she knew- she wouldn’t be able to keep her mouth shut.

“Cameras on, people- in three, two, one- go!”

It’s just us: Danny, Angel and I. Standing around the table.

“Okay,” he begins, “for Battle Rounds, I’ve chosen a person who I know will be able to help you achieve success. May I introduce- Adele!”

I try not to keep my jaw from dropping. Adele? Adele? I’d idolised her, since my early awkward twenties. I’d been struggling to keep a living in London, and that’s when I heard a song of hers play on the radio. I listened, transfixed. Her deep, sultry voice drifted through the air and straight into my brain. Since then, I’d listened to every song of hers and collected her albums. Yes, I had an embarrassing crush on her- no, not the blushing, sweating kind of crush- but more the ‘I-wanted-to-be-her’ crush. I never predicted Danny would choose her. I thought he’d pick a country singer who nobody had heard of.

Adele comes trotting down the stairs, her hair straightened, and wearing black eye makeup. “Hey, guys.”

This definitely was going to be one hell of a battle.

Our session goes through surprisingly easy. I get over my shock and awe, and Adele even compliments me. Angel stands by me, glowering.

When we’re finished, she deliberately bumps into me and hisses, “that’ll teach you to suck up to Danny.”

I don’t want to say I’m scared of Angel, but my stomach churns a little when I hear the underlying threat in her voice. I’m comforted, though, when Andrea slides up to me, and jokes, “someone’s getting competitive.”