Prolouge

Lily holds my hand as we sit in the hallway, listening to Mom and Dad fight. 

"what do you mean you're leaving me?" Dad yells. 

"I mean, I. am. fucking. leaving. you." Mom seethes. "I'm leaving you and your messiness and your whinning and I'm taking Lily with me." 

"why not Hayden." 

"'Daddy's little princess.'" Mom mocks. "Lily." Mom calls. 

"don't you fucking dare. you can't just take one of our girls and leave the other."  

"watch me you fucking asshole." 

"don't do this to me. if you hate me, don't fucking take it out on our baby girl." 

"our baby girl? more like our demon child." it's dead silent. 

"did you just call Hay a demon?" Dad seethes. 

"you've seen her. she's a troubled child." 

"you know what? leave. see if I fucking care anymore." 

"Lily, get down here sweetheart, we're leaving." Mom calls. Lily and I get up together and walk out, hand in hand. "let go of her hand and let's go." Mom tries to pull us apart, making me scream. "shut up." she screams at me, letting go of Lily for a second. 

"don't take Lily away." I cry, holding her close. 

"let go of her." Mom pulls us apart, with Dad's help. both of us try to pull ourselves away from our parents and towards each other. the car rolls away and Dad pulls me into his chest as I sob for Lily. 

"you'll see her again someday sweetheart. until then, we can party all the time and have fun and make lots of memories. that sound good?" I wipe my nose and look at him. 

"and mac and cheese?" 

"lots of it." 

"cookies?" 

"as many as you can count." I smile and hug him tightly. 

days later, I go out back to find my dad kneeling on the ground, an empty bottle in his hand and tears running down his face as he looks up at the sky, cursing it out. I sit next to him and curse the sky with him. for taking my twin away from me and for taking my mom and my dad for the time. we slept under the stars that night, cursing the world together.