Six

2 Months Later...

I never thought at the age of 16 I would be bussing tables at Johnny Rockets. I feel napkins attack my back as I realize that kids from my school are throwing them. I hate public school. I roll my eyes and walk back into the kitchen.

" Reagan?" Gary my boss calls out.

" Yeah?" I ask.

" I need you to wait tables." Gary says.

" Which one?" I ask.

" Preferably that one. They just walked in." Gary says.

He points exactly where I wish he didn't point. I walk over there. I meet eyes with the most popular girl in school Vanessa Sanders. She's about as fake as her hair. She snickers.

" So when's the baby due?" Vanessa smirks.

" July. What would you like to drink?" I ask.

" I think you mean, what would you like to drink? I mean to be pregnant, you've got to be thirsty right?" Vanessa smirks.

She smiles as her "squad" laughs and backs her up. She makes me so angry. She wasn't always like this. She use to be the dorkiest kid in middle school. The acne, the braces, it all. She was bullied too. But she got to high school and went through puberty and got gorgeous so now she's evil.

" To be mean, you've got to be hurting right?" I blurt out.

I regret the words as soon as they come out of my mouth. I just sunk down to her level. She can ruin me at school. Well I'm pregnant so I'm pretty much a goner at school. She looks embarrassed. Her squad suddenly turns on her.

" So what would you like to drink?" I ask.

Everyone mumbles their drink orders. I walk back into the kitchen and Sam, the chef gives me a high five. I walk back to the table and give them their drinks.

" Reagan!" Vanessa calls out.

I turn around and my face is drenched in sprite.

" Next time, watch what you say." Vanessa smirks.

I stand frozen.

" I am going to have to ask you to leave." Gary says from behind me.

He places a hand on my shoulder.

" Please collect your things and go." Gary says.

I watch as they get up and leave the restaurant.

" Snitch." Vanessa calls out.

Her entourage laughs. I gasp out of fear as Gary walks me back to the kitchen. I break down in tears and Zander the chef comes over and hugs me.

" Zander, your meat is going to burn." I sniffle.

" Who cares? High school kids can be so cruel. I'm so glad I'm done with that." Zander scoffs.

I chuckle. He grabs his handkerchief and wipes away my tears. He grabs my shoulders forcing me to look into his eyes.

" You're so strong. I wish I could have been this strong at 16." Zander says.

I smile. He gives me a second hug.

" Okay now my meat is burning, girl. Go do your thing girl." Zander smiles.

He pushes me out into the main hall to wait more tables.