Chapter 3: Theresa Nightingale

As soon as the two men had finished reading the document, Miles burst out into a series of protest, whereas all Waylon could do was stare at the ground, his face as pale as snow.

"THERE'S NO WAY IN FUCKING HELL I WILL RETURN TO THAT DAMN PLACE" Miles exclaimed. "I WILL NOT TAKE PART IN THIS, I WILL FUCKING NOT"

The military officer tried to calm down the black haired journalist, but there wasn't much he could do, for he was told to handle the man with extreme caution, and Miles knew it. He continued his rant, without being stopped by anyone.

Waylon started nerveously pacing up and down the small office. He wasn't in the mood nor had the guts to stand up to the governments decision to take them back to the derranged asylum. Appearantly, bringing Murkoff down hadn't been enough, all the remaining patients had to be tracked down and killed, and the building had to be burned down after it. All evidence of the Murkoff Corporation and its experiments had to be brought down, so noone could ever come into possesion of the formula for the Morphogenic Engine again. Since Miles and Waylon were the only ones to have experienced the Asylum from the inside, they were the only persons the organisation could think of.

It absolutely killed Waylon that he had to go back to that horrendeous place, especially after just escaping it. Thank god that with Miles that made two of them.

Both were snapped out of their behaviour when a woman entered the room.

"Good morning gentl..." she began, upon which she was rudely interrupted by Miles, claiming that this morning couldn't have been fucking shittier.

"Ahum, as I was saying, good morning gentlemen, my name is Theresa Nightingale, I am assuming you have already heard the news?"

"Yeah" Miles said, his voice filled up with hate. "I am literally bursting with excitement on this one" he spoke.

The woman raised an eyebrow. "Is that sarcasm I detect mr. Upshur?" "Nah, I was being damn serious woman, what do you think?!" he scolded at her. The woman remained surprisingly calm under the comments of Upshur, something which seemed to provoke the Walrider even more. She continued to speak.

"How do you feel about this mister Park?", for the first time averting her attention to Waylon. Waylon jumped at the sudden question that was thrown at him, and for a moment he just stared blankly at the woman, as if she had suddenly popped up out of thin air.

"Uhm.." Waylon began, being much gentler in both his behaviour as his language than Miles was. "Uhh.. you don't really think we are actually wanting to go back there do you?" he asked, cautious of what the woman could do if he spoke up to her. "No." She bluntly said. "No, I do not mister Park, but you do realise that all I can do is make the best of this, for the sake of you both."

"Sure" Miles grunted. "All that is best for us is that you leave us the fuck alone. I am not fucking willingly entering that building again, and I am certain Waylon agrees with me on this." Miles glanced at Waylon, but he averted his eyes.

Miles' eyes opened wide in disbelief. "Waylon, are you saying you actually agree with those people? For all we know they are Murkoff personnel in disguise, FOR ALL WE KNOW THEY ARE TRYING TO DO WHAT THE PATIENTS COULDN'T DO, NAMELY KILL US." Miles just lost it. He completely lost it, black smoke now surrounding his body, but his scrunched up face was telling the onlookers that he was not willingly doing this. A grunt escaped his lips, upon which the black smoke thinned up a bit.

Waylon just looked at him, terrified. Up untill now, he had never seen the Wallrider from this close and it dreaded him that the Wallrider was such a strong presence in Miles' body that he could take over at any time if it wanted to. A loud scream suddenly rolled over Miles' lips, and the smoke drifted, leaving Miles hurled up on the ground, his face beaded with sweat.

"The woman's expression remained as cold as it was before, not a single emotion had come over her face while watching the phenomenon.

"I do hope this won't happen again mr. Upshur." she said coldly. "You better be up and ready when I get back for the two of you." she proclaimed as she turned around on her heels and left the room.

Highly concerned, Waylon kneeled beside Miles, and he just awkwardly sat there for a moment, not exactly knowing what to do with the broken man that laid next to him. Slowly, Miles opened his eyes, his gaze blurred. His body felt like it had been tossed from a cliff and put back together. "I.. I'm s-so sorry" he stammered, eyes looking up to the man that had kneeled beside him. Waylon didn't say a word, all he did was just gently stroke the ex-journalist's hair. "I guess we'll have to go haven't we?" he spoke absent mindedly. "We'll never get rid of those people if we don't"

"G-guess we h-have to pack up o-our bags then d-don't we?" Miles half grinned. "W-wouldn't wanna miss out on all the fun d-do I?"

Waylon absolutely admired this guy. Miles just almost got possesed, and still he was up for some sarcastic joke. It certainly could've become a great friendship between the two of them just a few moments ago. Guess a nice cup of coffee would have to wait for now, Waylon thought, hoping this would all soon be over.