o n e

lost stars | jjk

lost stars | jjk

"Fine, I'll show you."

"Really?"

"But on one condition."

"Which is?"

"You have to fall in love first."

Every time a person falls in love, a red line, like a tally mark, appears on their wrist. If their love is unrequited, it turns black. If their love is returned, it takes on a pink hue. And if their love dies, the mark becomes a scar.

+

« kim minjoo »

My eyes fluttered shut. Each step felt as heavy as the tugging burden at the pit of my stomach. Faint taps resonated off the walls of the abandoned school hallway, my footsteps forming a broken rhythm.

Tomorrow was the day.

30 students, crammed into a room with a ticking clock hanging above their bent heads. Dull eyes boring into the thick stacks of paper staring back at them; mocking, spluttering lies. Three days, three sets, three hours of torture each.

And as always, I will bring another round of disappointment to the couple I call my parents waiting back home.

Blinded by the dark, I allowed my feet to guide me. I didn't care, as long as it took me away from the dark jail of which I sat motionlessly in, for 8 hours.

"Miss Kim."

I released a strangled sigh and peeled my eyes open.

"What are you doing?" The judgmental gaze of the after-hours teacher stared into mine, "The exams are tomorrow. It's not a good idea to wander around the school with your eyes closed at this hour."

I bowed, "Sorry. I just wanted to relieve a bit of stress."

"Mm." She waved dismissively and sauntered away.

Like she cared, anyways. One less student hurting themselves before exam day, the less responsibility the teachers held.

Pushing my reading glasses further up the bridge of my nose, I ambled over to the stairwell leading downstairs, eager to purchase another cup of strong caffeine from the vending machines to keep my drowsy system functioning.

"...I'm sorry,"

The guilt dripping off those two words halted me halfway down the stairs.

"You knew perfectly well. How I felt... Why?"