e i g h t

lost stars | jjk

lost stars | jjk

« kim minjoo »

I threw my phone to the side, staring up at the wall as I debated over getting out of bed or not.

My hands slapped onto the smooth cover of my duvet in frustration, a shot of regret pulsing through my head as I remembered the events of last night.

Agreeing to Jungkook's stupid deal was an equally stupid idea. I had so many better things to do. But by saying that, all I actually could do was study, not something I particularly enjoyed despite my reputation for constantly working till the break of dawn.

Maybe it was the pride of not wanting to seem uncertain and weak. Maybe I just didn't want to give him the pleasure of catching me at something I wasn't completely confident in doing. Or maybe I really was curious about those marks lining our wrists.

Okay, it was late at night yesterday, I obviously wasn't thinking straight. And now I had to suffer the consequences of my idiotic egotism.

Jungkook—just thinking about him made my head throb—also mentioned Odd Gallery. How did he know I liked that place? It was one of my favourite clothing stores ever since I discovered it, and the sale was too tempting, considering how Odd Gallery almost never had events like this. It was too good of a bargain.

My phone buzzed again.

I picked it up.

unknown number:
buy 1 get 1 free

A groan left my lips as I heaved myself upright, fingers tapping away in a reply.

minjoo:fine.

+

« jeon jungkook »

"Hyung, you're coming right?"

"Yeah, but I might be late. Stuck in traffic." The groggy tone of his voice made my eyes roll.

It was obvious he had just woken up, probably having partied till the early morning the previous day. I never understood how he managed to do the same thing over and over again on an almost daily basis. And how on Earth we even became friends when we were total polar opposites.

"Whatever, just be there by 2."

"Kay."

I stuffed my wallet into the pocket of my jeans before slipping out of my room silently, not wanting to wake my father up.

After the situation prior to Minjoo finding me on the stairs—oh god, that was embarrassing, Dad kept himself awake for the remainder of the night, seething in his room with a bottle of hard Whiskey on his lap for company.

My feet unconsciously slowed as I passed his wooden oak door, ears pricking at the sound of his deep snores on the other side of the wall.

I shifted my gaze down to my wrist, a bitter sensation overcoming my previous indifferent mood as my fingers trailed over the delicate skin covered in a thin layer of high-coverage concealer.

If only concealer could erase away the other effects of these unwanted marks.

I pushed that thought away before I succumbed back into the sulking mess Minjoo caught me in yesterday.

Just.

Not now.

As I took my time fixing my hair in front of the mirror by the front door, a soft snicker escaped at the thought of Minjoo arriving at the mall thinking I was already there. As well as believing there was actually a 2 for 1 sale at Odd Gallery.

I grabbed my set of house keys off the hook just as a stream of at least 6 messages thrilled the fabric of my jeans, signalling a possible series of angry texts.

She was too gullible.