t h r e e

lost stars | jjk

lost stars | jjk

« kim minjoo »

"Why?"

It seemed like that one word was all his shocked form could muster up.

A single tear escaped from the corner of his eyes and slid free, spilling down the side of his face. He raised the back of his hand and wiped it away hastily, turning his head away in shame. His breaths hiccupped as he tried desperately to recompose himself, to hide his crying form under an emotionless façade.

"Why? I could ask you the same thing." I laughed bitterly, "Though I got the picture, just barely."

Jungkook didn't reply.

I shook my head as his eyes glued themselves to the descending steps before us, hearing the distant voice of the man who threw him out of the house echo down the hall.

His parents probably got mad at him for placing second in our year. I wasn't surprised. His past achievements must have built a towering standard for him, and to not reach it for once, their expectations sent him crashing down.

"Why are you still here?" His voice was harsh.

"I'm being a nice person by staying?" I replied, staring him up with a raised eyebrow.

"I don't need your pity."

"Who said I was pitying you? I'm providing you with some silent consoling."

He sent me a look of exasperation through puffy eyes, of which I returned with a headstrong glare. His gaze faltered as his eyes met mine.

"Why were you crying?"

I was taken aback. I didn't think he cared.

The sleeves of my jersey rubbed at the tear stains coating my cheeks, "My parents weren't happy about my results either. They sent me out to go to the tuition center."

"But you got first place."

"Well, it wasn't good enough for them."

It was obvious Jungkook had no idea what to say after, and I didn't blame him. He stayed silent and looked away, clenching and unclenching his fingers as he cleared his throat. Soft sniffles rattled through his frame occasionally, dying out by the second as his eyes stopped producing tears.

I pursed my lips at his quiet nature and pulled out my phone.

"Aren't you supposed to be at the tuition center?"

I smirked as I glanced at the time on the screen, "Want me gone so badly, huh?"

"I never said that."

"I'm not going there." I rose to my feet, "But fortunately for you, I'm leaving."

He grunted.

I watched as his head gradually lowered, meeting eye-to-eye with the dirty concrete floor. His hood fell over his features, masking away his smooth jet-black hair under a layer of grey fabric. A long sigh drew past his lips.