Chapter 3

Alex’s POV

I saw her running out of class with tears in her eyes. Looks like Miss.Perfect is finally breaking. Serves her right. I suddenly realised that more students had arrived and that the English teacher, Mrs.Williams had just entered the class. I couldn’t wait to see the look on her face when she saw that her star pupil had just skipped class. Mrs.Williams hadn’t arrived in class a long time after Natalie left so she most probably saw her going the other direction of the class. It was a real pity that Mrs.Williams adored Natalie because that meant a very small chance that Natalie would get punished for skipping class.

I desperately wanted Natalie to get into a lot of trouble and maybe even get expelled or suspended. Ever since that day I’ve wanted nothing but bad things for her. My best friend, Simon Evans, thinks I’ve taken this thing way too far and that I made a big deal out of nothing. That may be true but that day Natalie beat me in the only thing I was good at and the only thing important to me. The year when I fought with Natalie because she beat me in a Maths quiz I was a nobody. I didn’t have any other talents except for being good at school and popular students didn’t care about brains. My one and only friend had been Simon and the most important thing in my life was getting good grades. I had been crushed whe I, the best student of the year, had been beaten by Natalie, the second in the year.

After that lesson had been over she had come to my desk and was going to start talking. I knew she was going to start gloating and I wasn’t going to let that happen. That’s how I had started saying mean things to her. I started feeling just a tiny bit guilty when I was finished but that feeling died away when she threw water at me from the water bottle I had on my desk. I swear that I would have punched her straight in the face if she wasn’t a girl!

I knew she had felt guilty for doing that when she had showed up in front of my locker the next day. I was still furious so I didn’t accept her apology right away. We started fighting and shouting and things only got worse between us after that. Now I can’t even stand to see her face without feeling anger bubbling inside me.

At least now I’m not a nobody anymore. A few days after the fight between Natalie and me, Simon had arrived at my house to find me in my room trying to diminsh my anger by throwing stuff at the wall. He had suggested that I try to practice some sport to diminsh my anger without breaking anything. I had tried out for football and had been picked. That’s were I started to get popular. The year after I was made captain of the football team and I got elected school’s president. I went straight from a nobody to the most popular boy in school in less than two years.

I spent the rest of the English lesson thinking about how my life changed and about how I actually owed Natalie a little for making me angry enough to try for the football team.

                                     *****************************

Natalie’s POV

School was finally over. I was so relived that I didn’t notice the shadow of a person behind me. Suddenly I found myself pinned to the wall by a pair of very strong arms. I looked up to see the face of Josh Finnigan, my ex-boyfriend.

“What do you want Josh?”, I asked him. I was a little scared because he was holding me in a very strong grip and I didn’t like the look in his eyes. He was eyeing me as if I was a piece of meat waiting to be eaten. I wasn’t liking this one bit.

“What’s wrong babe?”, he started. “Scared of me? You were never scared of me two months ago…in fact I think it was quite the opposite. I just want nother chance Nat…please. I swear it will be different this time…I swear…”