Really?!

"I couldn't see anything, but a pair of shoes. Boy sneakers to be quite exact. It was obvious you cared deeply for this person, enough to risk your life for them." He stares coldly into my eyes, "Nicole, I think you'll completely sacrifice your life for them." Just as my parents did for me, this idea rattles through my mind. I am willingly to save a stranger, but I will try to avoid it from being at my own expense. This is clearly not a stranger though. Perhaps, no... Probably it is one of the three boys closely bustled around me. "I wish I could change the future, but it was my reading and they have never failed me yet. Hopefully this will be the first. I don't believe you can elude it though. I am still a little new at this so, maybe... hopefully I am wrong. I don't want to lose you, not in a million years. Never, we wish to keep you close for infinity." Ethan admits. Okay, that's not creeperish at all... Actually he's so cute it's not. Awww... I coo over boys like puppy dogs and babies. That is not cool, but whatever. I don't care especially when I have bigger problems on my hands right now, like DIEING! No need to panic, It's fine. All that is going to happen is I'll croak any day now. 

Hopefully it's just all one big misconception... Right?

It was no mistake, Ethan's eyes told me. The best thing I can possibly do is live each minute at a time. Finally I get what I want, just to lose it. For the sake of the boys, I act like I don't care about it. Might as well tell them I'm a siren. I will for sure at lunch. 

"No biggy. As long as who I save is thankful, then it won't be worthless. So how long until lunch because my stomach is growling and treats are not going to settle it?" I ask. Smiles break across their faces. 

Ethan glances at the clock instead of his watch, " An hour and a half." 

"Oh. I should wash up, since we're waiting for the cake to finish. I'll find my way to the washroom, no worries." 

"You mean bathroom." Benny says. 

My face is flushed white and I hope they can not see through my mask. "Yeah, whatever. I say washroom. Bathroom... Uh, well I'm off. I'll be back. If I'm not back in forty-five minutes I probably fell in. It wouldn't be the first time." I walk casually out the room. That was a weird conversation on my part. When I hit the hall I run in tears. The girl's room is not far from the class. I go into a stall and lock the door. I don't need to go, I just use the toilet as a seat and hope my skirt doesn't fall in. I cry and sob, not for myself, but for Benny. He'll definitely take this the hardest when it comes. I walk to the sink and look in the mirror to see my pink, puffy eyes, wondering what I did wrong. I snatch some paper towels. Perhaps too much, but it's too late to care. I wet them and wipe off my face, catching tears as more fall. I scrub the batter off my arms. I dab the corner of my shirt with water where there was a little spot of cheesecake mix. I throw the paper towel away and dry off my hands. Still, I can not stop the tears from surfacing. Tears roll down my cheeks and drop off at my jaw, spotting the cement. I wait until I stop moping. I finally quit crying when I remind myself that my time with the boys is ticking down. I wipe the last tears away with my hands and check my reflection. My cheeks and eyes are red, but it's nothing I can change. I'll just have to attempt to play it off. I push open the door and walk back to class.  

When I reach the entrance Benny is standing there waiting for me, leaning against the door frame. "The cake's done. I made them wait for you, so we can all frost it together. Your cheeks are a little red." 

I gulp, although I suspected he would notice. "Must be from me rubbing them. Did you wait for me this whole time?" I question as I change subjects. 

"Yeah. I followed you to the doorway and watched you run to the bathroom crying. I was going to talk to you, but I figured that you could use some time to yourself to think it out." That confirms it, he isn't affected by me being part siren. I'm a bit upset that he witnessed my breakdown, but other than that I am a little glad.