dool

After checking for the 7th time the name of the subway exit, I made my way in front of a map showcasing all the different lines and stations. For a Californian who had gotten her license as soon as she turned 16, this was a whole new world in itself. "Okay, so line 6 or line 2?" I questioned under my breath. I heard a woman laughing in my direction (I had been standing there for well over 5 minutes) and turned over to her, in which she replied,"Do you need help?" Ahh, God has sent me an angel in times of difficulty!

"Oh, yes, please." I replied. "I'm trying to get to Hapjeong Station?"

"Ahh that's the same subway line as me, a couple stops away. Just get on with me."

We were to go down a flight of stairs to get to our line, and I noticed she had two large bags that looked heavy. "Let me carry those for you, in return! I would've probably gotten so lost." I offered to the kind lady.

"Oh, no. It's fine. You looked like you weren't from around here; a student your age should know the subway stations like the back of their hand."

"Aneeayo, I'll carry them for you!!" I exclaimed as I grabbed them from her.

She mock crossed her arms and joked,"You're not going to take my bags and run away, right?"

"Of course not, how would I get to Hapjeong than?" I joked back, and like that, my first friendship and cross-generational relationship in Korea blossomed.