Chapter 5

I stared at my reflection in the mirror as I waited for Reece by the front door. My naturally straight hair was out and falling down to my stomach, and my lips shone with pink lipgloss. Staring down at my outfit, I checked if my maroon dress looked okay. It was a t-shirt style one. One that was fitted at the top and then flowed out. 

      "Where are you going?" I heard Britney suddenly ask, snapping myself out of my check out session involving myself.

       I looked at her with dread filling my stomach. If she knew I was going to hang out with a guy, I would never hear the end to her questions. I knew that much as I stared at her curious face.

       "Just going out," I casually said.

      "Where?" she asked, crossing her arms over her chest.

       I fought back the urge to roll my eyes. I never met a younger sister like mines - so intrusive, so whiney. Maybe if she was younger it would be okay, but she was sixteen. A teenager who didn't look like she'd mature anytime soon.

       "I'm going out with a friend," I eventually said, knowing there was no way out of it. I just had to be vague.

       She raised an eyebrow. "You have a friend?"

      "Britney." I sighed. "Why don't you do something productive. You know, something that doesn't involve annoying me."

       "I'm just looking out for you."

       "I'm older." I rolled my eyes. "You don't need to."

       Knowing Reece should be here soon, I looked out the window. My eyes widened as I spotted his red car parked in the driveway. I quickly grabbed the doorknob, feeling guilty as I realized he must be waiting.

       "Who is that?" I heard Britney ask, standing right next to me.

       I jumped a little, but ignored her. All I could think about was getting to Reece and away from her.

      "Is that a boy?" she asked, sounding genuinely shocked as I opened the door.

       Ignoring her, I ran to his car and jumped into the passenger seat. Britney was stepping onto the porch, so my eyes widened in fear. I strapped in my seatbelt quickly.

       "Drive!" I exclaimed. "Quickly!"

       Reece did exactly that. He zoomed out of my driveway and down the street, and only then did I relax. I exhaled as I got comfortable in my seat.

       "What was that about?" Reece asked, glancing at me.

       "My sister," I groaned. "She won't leave me alone. She just has to know everything."

        He chuckled lightly. "I'm guessing she was asking about me?"

        "Yeah. Well, she was wondering who you are," I replied. "Your gender remains ambiguous."

       "Why don't you just tell her?"

       "Cause I'll never hear the end of it," I said, exasperatedly. "She'll ask so many questions about if we're dating, how we met, how many babies we'll have, and blah, blah, blah. I'll lose my mind before the questions ever end."

       Reece laughed lightly, and I smiled at him. He eyes stayed glued to the road and I took in his side view. I never knew he had such a defined jawline until now.

        "Cara," Reeve said suddenly, growing serious.

        "What?" I asked, confused.