~ The Plan ~

Dabria showered quickly, for she was genuinely curious as to what Antonio had in mind. But, furthermore, she found herself thrilled at the idea of leaving her room again, and, as much as she tried to deny it, she was extra thrilled that it was Antonio she was going to run away with. Hardly running away. Dabria thought, while drying her hair. More likely put as exploring. Just a walk, he had said. A walk on the grounds. Nothing more, nothing less. But she knew she was fooling herself.

Having talked to Antonio as often as she had lately, she knew there was more than met the eyes, and that he was trying to deceive her into considering this an innocent walk. What to wear?

Dabria found she wanted to wear something flattering for Antonio. Something that looked nice, but not too nice. She wanted to look good, but she didn't want it evident that she had tried.

After ten minutes of debating, she decided on a sea green dress. It had a V-cut, and it flowed around her knees. It was from last year, so it was a bit tighter than some of her never dresses, but not too tight. She braided her hair, and tied it into a bun. Slipping on her silver flats with golden sparkles, she waited for Antonio.

During the next hour she waited, and Dabria discovered just how impatient she truly was. It wasn't often an offer like this revealed itself, or ever, so she supposed she had the right to be impatient. But staring at the door, tapping her foot, was a bit ridiculous. She tried to read. She tried to draw. But every time, her eyes drifted back to the closed door. It was mocking her, staying closed as it was. How dare it mock her? For she was Princess Dabria, the first heir to the throne.

"I've lost my mind!" Dabria cried, having found herself thinking these thoughts about the door. "His prolonged absence has drove me insane!"

She was still mumbling to herself when Antonio walked in. "That door continues to mock me... I swear it is looking at me, laughing cruelly. Such hateful eyes-"

"Hello again, Princess. I see you have had company?" Antonio asked, laughing.

"Oh... you heard that?"

"Sadly I seem to have intruded on a conversation. I wish I had been here throughout the beginning, it seems interesting."

"You would have been greatly let down," Dabria snapped, crossing her arms.

"Why do you do that?" Antonio asked, sitting across from her on a bench.

"Do what?"

"Cross your arms like that. I have yet to manage a conversation with you when you didn't cross them at least once."

And then he broke out laughing again. He tried, and failed to contain it. His face turning red amidst the effort.

"If you wouldn't anger me, I would not cross my arms." Dabria retorted, regaining herself.

"I didn't mean it as an insult, Dabria," Antonio said, suddenly becoming very serious.

"May I ask with whom you were conversing?"

"I suppose even if I say no, you will expect a response," she said.

"That goes without question, my dear."

"I figured as much," Dabria mumbled.

"So..."

"I was conversing with myself. The door. My loneliness. Sometimes, when that's not enough, I talk to The Voice. A voice within my head."

"It tells me the wrongs I have done in the world, and the consequences I will face for them. I would like to define it better, but that's all I know myself. It appeared when I was eight. It has been in my conscience ever since. Every thought I have passes through The Voice's approval."