Chapter 8: All Hell Breaks Loose

{Iris's POV}

I look forward as they bring us into a room with some kind of metal dentist torture chair inside. I was terrified, thinking about what they might do, but I wasn't going to give them the pleasure of seeing my fear so I bottle up my feelings.

I see that they begin to take Scarlet to the machine first. I can't let this happen to her! I have to stop this!!!

"What?! So I'm not good enough to go first?!? I bet whatever you're up to won't work on me!!"

I know that that's a petty reason, but maybe they'll make me go first just to have fun and prove me wrong... Man I'm scared!

{Scarlet's POV}

The scientists roll Iris and I down what seems to be a never ending hallway. Finally, we enter a room which contained a chair I'm assuming is used for torture. In other words, it didn't look very nice. I have a feeling this is what the lady scientist, whom I bit earlier, was referring to about Iris and I not being able to remember anything.

The scientist escorting Iris stop shortly after entering the room, but my escort roles me straight up to the chair. Iris tries to taunt these monsters but they barely give her a second thought. Her attempt gives me some reassurance though; I've always admired her bravery. The scientists begin prepping the torture machine, so I begin to plan our escape.

They're gonna have to take off my restraints in order to move me into the chair... I have to be quick about this... The two guards by the door are the highest threat; I have to take them down first. Then I'll go for the scientists...

My plan crumbles when three guys approach me because 1) these guys are BIG and 2) they are wearing heavy armor. It reminds me of Iron Man's suit, however it's nowhere near as technologically advanced.

Crap...

The table I'm restrained to is set back into its initial horizontal position. Two of the men move to either side of me and grip my arms while the third guy places a firm grip on my ankles. Double crap...

Suddenly my shackles pop open... Okay! It's now or never! I struggle against the men. I manage to loosen the grip on my right arm but before it's fully free the man gets me in a bear hug. My left leg was able to get free however, so I take advantage of that moment and send my heel into the nose of the gorilla of a man's face. He crumples to the ground, hands cupped around the damage. I send my left knee to nail the guy on my right in the face but he turns at the last second so only his ear received the blow. Not much damage was dealt from that. The brutes maneuver us around then slam my back into the chair and hold me there. I continue to struggle in vain as more metal restraints lock around my wrists.

I look at the dude on the ground. He's out cold; blood already covering the entirety of his face and continuing to flow.

The male scientist, who had punched me in the jaw, walked over to the tablet on the stand next to the brainwash machine. He pressed a button on the tablet, causing pieces of the device to close around my head.

"Please..." I try to say but it is barely audible due to fear and a broken jaw. I can hear the machine whirring to life. This is it... DAMMIT! I don't want to forget my life! I can't forget my best friend... Tears are cascading down my face. I lock my gaze with Iris.

A sharp pain cuts its way through my head. I am about to let out a scream when there is a deafening blast through one of the walls.

{Iris's POV}

I stare into Scarlet's eyes with horror. I wish I could help reassure her that everything would be okay, but at this point we'd both be kidding ourselves. My blood runs cold as I watch, knowing that the room would soon fill with the screaming agony of my close friend.