Chapter 58 - Churchside Confession

It was dark when Frank parked in the lot at Saint Jude’s. He waited in his SUV until he saw Millie walk out of her house and cross the street to the fountain by the entrance. Elmer Dillinger arrived in his old white Cadillac, the one he always used to come to church, and parked alongside Frank’s SUV. Millie unlocked the front door to the church with the keys she had kept for years as a volunteer. Frank entered and followed them down the central aisle that parted the pews. They reached the altar at the front which now faced a congregation of empty benches.

Frank shook Elmer’s hand at first. Then, suddenly, he impulsively embraced the older man, as if reunited with a long-lost family member. “I should have known it was you. Who else would my mother trust to get so close?”

Next to the altar, they lit candles in between rows of prayer cards. Elmer held out a faded card wedged between the melted wax that spilled over from the candles. A prayer to Saint Jude was printed on the back of it.

“When Stella got cancer, I came here every night,” Elmer said. “Millie and I both did. We recited the words on the card. We prayed for her like our own family.”

“I’ve always appreciated everything you did for my mother, Elmer,” Frank replied.

“I know that. Now your mother and son are in a different kind of danger. And I know as a son how hard this must be, not knowing where they are.”

“Will you help me?”

“Of course. I want to see you reunited with them. They want the same thing. And whatever has happened in the past couple weeks, they want to put it behind them as well.”

“I think it’s too late for that, after what they’ve done. How do they expect to put it behind them? They can’t keep beating the odds, Elmer. You know that. There are too many forces against us. The important thing now is our family’s survival.”

“What are the terms of survival? Millie says you’re talking to the police. You’d have me turn them in, wouldn’t you? Is this why you wanted to talk to me?” Elmer asked.

“I am not saying that’s the only option. I am saying they need to know what the options are. We’ll decide together the best way to survive, as a family. Tell me where they are, Elmer.”

“Yes, please do tell,” a mocking voice boomed from the far corner of the church, behind the pews. It was Lester Cummings. He was standing with Harry and Rudy against the wall next to the fire exit, having slipped in from the parking lot. Lester and his men held revolvers aimed squarely at the altar where Frank, Elmer, and Millie stood.

The three men swept forward slowly, advancing step by step, each taking a different path through the aisles toward the altar. Rudy and Harry grabbed Elmer and Millie by their arms, spun both around so they were facing Frank, and then shoved guns into their captives’ backs. Their intent was to use Elmer and Millie as human shields in the event that Frank drew a weapon. Lester encroached on Frank, raising his pistol at point-blank range.

“Go on, tell us the rest,” Lester sneered. “I heard about your mom and son hitting those trucks, and now I bet she’s got something else in the works. You’ve got your old pal the pharmacist fencing pills on the black market. You must think you’re real slick, building your own little criminal empire. Isn’t that right, Frank? Your family steals from me and then you steal from Great American. And then you keep moving up to grander schemes, all based on the foundation you built trying to rip me off with real estate deals. How dare you! You been playing me for a sucker all along, haven’t you, Frank? Ever since you hooked me in with that ridiculous Tuscan Paradise deal. When I met you, I thought you were just some dumb yuppie wannabe who got in over his head. But this whole sting has been far too deliberate and professional. I don’t know why your family set this plan in motion, and I don’t know why you chose me as one of your targets. But I do know you’re going to regret it.”

“You got it all wrong, Lester, listen to me—”

“Keep quiet!” Lester ordered. The barrel of his gun inched closer to Frank’s forehead. Suddenly, Lester turned his eyes to Elmer. “Tell us where Johnny and Stella are, old man, or you won’t leave this church alive.”

“I won’t tell you a thing!” Elmer shouted defiantly. “I’m not afraid of you!”

“Stop it, Elmer. Don’t try to be a hero,” Frank pleaded.

Harry, who had been holding Millie by the arm, waved his pistol and grinned. “What if the old lady gets the first bullet? How does that sound, Elmer?”

“Don’t you dare touch her,” Elmer scolded. “She doesn’t know anything that can help you.”

“I’ll shoot her right now unless you tell us where they are.”

“OK, OK,” Elmer said, raising his hands in surrender. “They are up in the mountains. The San Jacinto Mountains.”

“They’re at Hideaway Cove, aren’t they?” Frank gasped. “I know where they are, Lester! It’s deep in the mountains and you won’t be able to find them on your own. I’ll take you there, but you’ve got to promise me that you’ll let Elmer and Millie go. It is like you said, I’m the one responsible for all this. And if I don’t lead you to them, you can do whatever you want to me.”

“How do I know this isn’t a trap?” Lester queried.

“Why would I send you into a trap when I am putting my life in your hands?”

After a long pause, Lester spoke again. “OK, Frank, you can lead me there, but I am not letting these two go free until I get what I’m looking for. Harry, take them to the house across the street. Wait to hear from me.”

Rudy, who still held Elmer’s arm, now pushed him over to Harry. Elmer swallowed hard and his eyes anxiously darted back and forth between Lester and Frank.

Lester scowled. “What is it, Elmer? You look like you got something else to say. Speak up now if you know what’s good for you.”

Elmer continued in a nervous voice. “They might not be there. They’re coming off the mountain tonight to do a job.”

“So I was right. They do have more plans. You weren’t going to tell me, were you, Frank? What is it now, Elmer? Another store? Another truck? Let’s hear it.”

“The distribution center in Norco. It’s the hub from where Great American moves all its medicine.”

Lester was clearly delighted by this extra piece of news. His eyes bulged with greed at the mention of a warehouse full of prescription drugs.

“Well, this will make things interesting. I’d like to see if we can catch them coming down the mountain. So I guess we better get moving.”