Chapter 21 - Permanent Life Change

Stella was transferred from ICU to a different wing of the hospital, where she stayed for another day. One by one, old friends came to visit.

When Elmer visited, he tried to convince Frank that the medication was a mistake. It was the first time they’d seen the pharmacist since he lost his job during the supermarket takeover.

“I don’t buy that doctor’s diagnosis for a minute,” Elmer told Frank. “Stella’s behavior in that store was out of control, but she doesn’t fit the profile of a psychotic. She needs help, but drugs aren’t the answer. ADAPT can have some terrible side effects. It’s totally overprescribed.”

Frank shrugged. “Elmer, what am I supposed to do? She went into a supermarket with a loaded gun. She broke the store manager’s nose and the guards had to pull her off him. You’re not thinking about this clearly because Stella’s your friend.”

When Stella was released, Frank paid the bills that her private plan no longer covered. Medicare paid for the emergency room and the overnight stay, but Frank was forced to settle charges for other costs, including the ADAPT medication. He split the balance across three different credit cards.

Dr. Simmons took Frank aside once more as a nurse wheeled his mother through the lobby to the parking lot.

“As we discussed before, you need to think seriously about long-term assisted care for your mother. I believe her days of living independently are probably over. That’s a bitter pill to swallow, but change is a fact of life and it’s never easy.”

“I understand,” Frank said. “I am already making preparations for what needs to happen.”

When the doctor left, Frank stood alone at the edge of the lobby. He took out his cell phone and left a voice message for Lester Cummings: “I have a way to get your money to you. I’ll explain everything soon.”