After Everything Happened

THE world wasn't different even years after it all happened.

It was all too simple.

A couple lived in the husband's old house in a silent neighborhood of a silent town. More often than not, there was more air than light, so even the shutters were left open inviting the tune of the birds that lived in the many trees of the neighborhood.

An occasional car would drive past, whipping the bushes into action, but even that did not seem to disturb the neighbourhood, most especially the house.

Everything was perfect. The husband had a good job. The wife supported him and taught foreign students English online. They had known each other long before they got married, and been through...well, so much.

They had one little girl, about six. Blonde hair and large intelligent eyes. She was coming home on the school bus, just after the couple's visitor had left.

Aunt Sunny, the little girl called her though she was not related to her by blood. Aunt Sunny was a rich and tall woman, always appearing business-like but kind at the same time. She made a habit of bringing the little girl something new—dresses, most of the time. Blue ones.

The little girl was not like girls her age. She often said it was weird to wear pink all the time. But not in some bossy you're-all-not-mature-like-me way. She was different.

Aunt Sunny had used to bring her toys, but she always seemed to bring the wrong ones for the little girl. Once, Aunt Sunny brought her a Barbie. The little girl had asked what it was for and Aunt Sunny had replied it was for her to dress and comb and have tea parties with. The little girl had laughed. She said she wouldn't do anything for something that couldn't even thank her. She had quoted what her dad often said when referring to his officemates.

Today, Aunt Sunny had left the little girl a notebook—something the little girl wanted to have collections of.

"Mom, I'm home!" said the little girl as she skipped about into the house. Her pigtails swung back and forth, and her school shoes bounced on the floor boards.

"Oh hi, honey." This was the mother. She was still young, and her pale blonde hair was clamped up neatly. She was just going to prepare dinner, her face devoid of weariness. She bent down to be kissed by the little girl. "Guess what? Aunt Sunny brought you a new notebook!"

"Really?" the little girl exclaimed.

"Yup," said the mother, handing her daughter a little black leather-bound notebook.

"Oh, it's perfect!" said the little girl. "Can I call Aunt Sunny to thank her?"

"Sure." The mother smiled.

The little girl made a brief call to her Aunt Sunny. The satisfaction in Aunt Sunny's voice was clear. She never thought she'd be able to please the little girl completely.

"Did you have fun at school today?" the mother asked after the little girl's call.

"Yes, mom. First grade is way better than kindergarten. I got to learn so much more than counting blocks and spelling three-letter words," said the little girl hugging her new notebook tightly but carefully.

The mother smiled. Her daughter was just too smart for a six-year old; sometimes she feared she was too smart for her own good. "Well that's nice, honey, you must be learning so much," said the mother.

"I guess," said the little girl. "But that's not all. I also got to be friends with this new kid at school."

"New friends, huh?" came the young father's voice as he went down the stairs. He was lean and tall, and a scar decorated his forehead.