Homecoming

HOMECOMING was what happened first.

The alumni of Hawkdale High School had everything planned out for it. An area of a newly opened beach club was reserved for them. Everyone who wasn't busy showed up, the food was ready, and items for recreation were prepared. The only thing they didn't plan for was the weather.

The sky had unexpectedly turned a dull gray when they arrived and a light shower of rain hung over them as they were about to set up their things. The beach club became altogether so gloomy that they all just stayed in the little huts and gazebos overlooking the beach. They kept their casual clothes on and there was nothing they could do except play on their phones and eat chips while waiting for the shower to stop. A large speaker banged on with the latest song hits but it only seemed to thicken the air and add up to their restlessness.

The guy who did most of the planning and especially the paying was called Manny and he was not at all happy seeing his money wasted by the minute. Instead of mingling with the others, he sat up with arms folded across his large belly and glared at the gray sky as if that would stop the rain from falling.

"Chill, dude," said Justin Crest, a Chinese dude in his twenties resembling an Archie comic character. "You're missing half the fun. Join us for Go-Fish?"

"I can't believe you guys brought board games to the beach," said Manny, shaking his head. "I feel like you've planned on convincing some weather god to waste my hard-earned money."

"Come on, Manny," said Justin. "You should be thankful Sphinx brought something handy or else we would all get bored to death here. Just join us and enjoy the breeze...er...the cold."

"Yes, I'd enjoy the wind blowing sand into my eyes very much," said Manny. "No, thank you. As for Sphinx ... I always figured the geek would never change. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he brought along his Dungeons and Dragons novels!"

He flushed with frustration as he remembered the cost of the venue. "When will this rain stop?"

As if the clouds flinched at Manny's temper, the shower reduced to a drizzle. One of the guys noticed the change immediately and his name was Richard Morganson.

"Alright, everyone listen up!" Richard shouted for everyone to hear. Manny and Justin grinned. Richard had a solution in his pocket to just about anything. He knew how to make everyone happy.

Everyone looked up and walked closer to Richard. They knew they were in for a treat. Only Sphinx seemed to be a little disappointed because his friends stood and went toward Richard, too.

"Before Manny rants on about wasted time and money," Richard began. Manny rolled his eyes and Justin smirked. "I just want to thank you guys for being here for homecoming. I hope we enjoy each other's company instead of our phones and board games. I really appreciate Sphinx for bringing along his games, and Josh and Kathy for starting up a conversation circle earlier but now I want us to take advantage of the time and the place while the weather is looking a bit better."

"What's on your mind, Rich?" asked a girl called Heverly.

"How about we bury someone in the sand?" Richard chuckled. The idea amused him.

Everyone nodded and cheered. They could finally do something more physical and enjoyable. Manny was more than pleased someone finally came up with a beach activity, but Sphinx had a mind of his own.

"Bury someone in the sand?" said Sphinx. "Uh, old school alert. Can't you think of anything else we could do?"

"Who's talking about old school? You wanna build a sand castle, Sphinx?" said Richard.