The Funeral

THE sun beamed radiantly behind thin lines of clouds as a wild breeze swept through the air. It was a perfect day to relax, to jog, to fly a kite.

Not for Michael, however. His mood was rather gloomy as he drove to his best friend Richard's funeral.

When he arrived at the cemetery, he didn't get out of the car immediately. This was the final goodbye and he wasn't in a hurry for it. He remembered the song he was to sing, and he sighed.

There's a way to keep him alive, the nurse had said. You hold on to your memories.

He carried his keyboard, got off the car, and walked to the place where Richard was to be buried. A tall man in a suit approached him with widespread arms.

"Michael!" It was Richard's father, Johann. "Michael, I am so glad you came." He put his arms around him and embraced him tight. "When I see you, it's like Richard is here with us again."

Michael hesitated, then said, "But no one can ever be half the guy your son was."

"Maybe not, Michael," said Johann, gripping him gently by the shoulders. "But you are his friend. His best friend. He lives in you." He gestured to the other guests. "And in all of us as well."

Johann smiled as his eyes welled in tears. "Come on. Richard can't wait to hear your song."

The funeral services began. There were prayers and songs, messages of comfort and condolence. Through it all, Michael just sat staring at the bright green grass thinking how life would never be the same without Richard. What wouldn't he give to hear Richard's priceless laugh again!

He got so tired of thinking that he was half-sleeping when Johann patted him on the shoulder and said, "Your turn, Michael."

Michael stood up stiffly and dragged himself to the front. He didn't know most of the people for they were Richard's extended relatives. He did, however, recognize a few high school friends who were present. He took a deep breath and introduced himself.

"My name is Michael Further, and I attended the same high school as Richard. We've been the best of friends since our freshman year with Eva di Marco..." He looked around his audience. Where was Eva?

"He was known in school as a stuntman," Michael continued. "He could do all sorts of stunts just about anywhere. He could also make anyone laugh. Whenever conflicts arose, he stood up for win-win. He always wanted to make everyone happy...and as we all know, that was what cost him his life..."

The people were in tears. Michael went on.

"But when Richard died..." His throat became dry. "His words echoed in my mind—the words he told Eva and I back in the high school farewell party. Three unforgettable words: Don't forget me. The nurse who took care of us told me that it is the only way to keep him alive. We ought to keep in our minds and cherish in our hearts all the things he's given us so that he may be preserved in our souls immortally." Many of the people were nodding and sighing.

He continued, "It is for this reason I dedicate this song to our beloved Richard Morganson, son, brother, and friend."

He walked to the keyboard, turned it on, and played the song he had already memorized by heart:

It's been a long day without you my friend

And I'll tell you all about it when I see you again

We've come a long way from where we began,

Oh I'll tell you all about it when I see you again When I see you again

Why'd you have to leave so soon

Why'd you have to go

Why'd you have to leave me When I needed you the most

'Cause I don't really know how to tell you That I'm feeling much worse,

I know you're in a better place But it's always gonna to hurt

Carry on

Give me all the strength I need to carry on.

How do I breathe without you I'm feeling so cold

I'll be waiting right here for you 'Til the day you're home

Carry on

Give me all the strength I need to carry on.

So let the light guide your way

Hold every memory as you go

And every road you take will always lead you home

It's been a long day without you my friend

And I'll tell you all about it when I see you again

We've come a long way from where we began

Oh I'll tell you all about it when I see you again When I see you again

There was comfort in the words of the song, but it overwhelmed Michael's audience so much that their handkerchiefs ended up damp. Michael's wonderful voice resounded with the throbbing of their hearts even as the song ended. As for Michael, no tears came. Instead, a faint smile fell on his lips.

Maybe Richard was gone. But he was still a part of Michael. He would continue to be his best friend. So there really were best friends forever.

Richard was buried, but fewer tears were shed. Michael's performance had done its work. There were more messages, less songs, and a final prayer.

After the services, Johann and his wife Linda each hugged Michael again tighter than before, and thanked him for his presence and the song.

But he was troubled about another thing. Where was Eva?

As if she read his thoughts, Linda informed him, "Eva came earlier today, but she had the chills and had to go home with the bishop. You might want to visit her."

Of course I want to visit her, thought Michael, but said, "I will. Thanks for telling me."

"Oh, and please send our regards to Amelia," said Johann as Michael left. "We hope she gets well soon."

"Yeah, sure," said Michael, waving his hand one last time before getting in the car. His mother hadn't been feeling well and had stayed home, but she had told Michael to go on and that she would be fine.

As Michael drove to Eva's house, the song he sang still echoed in his mind...

Carry on

Give me all the strength I need to carry on.

So let the light guide your way

Hold every memory as you go

And every road you take will always lead you home...