chapter four

Once everyone was asleep, I started to pack up my things. I grabbed my walking stick, and start leaving. I notice Bofur fell asleep on his watch. I put the blanket on him, and head to where the opening was. When I was about to get out of the cave, someone grabs my hand. I jump and look at Thorin. “Where do you think you’re going?’ He asks, glaring. “I’m going back to the Shire like you wanted,” I say, glaring. Thorin looks shocked, and then glares. “You promised the company you would stay. Are you just going to leave them now?” He asks, gripping my hand harder. “That hurts! Let me go,” I say, pulling my hand away from him. “You need to make up your mind! I won’t be constantly hurt by you!” I say, and notice he flinched. “I know. I am very sor- wait what is that?” he asks, pointing to my sword. I look and notice it’s blue. I look at him, and the floor gives out. We all go down this slide and end up in a cage. When we all try to get out, we are surrounded by the ugliest things I’ve ever seen. “Goblins!” Fili yells, and they start dragging everyone off somewhere. I notice none of them are coming after me, so I slowly crouch down. After they all leave, I stand up. A goblin walks by, sees me. It rushes after me, and I use my sword to defend myself. We end up falling, and crashing into all these rocks. I crash into the ground, and everything goes black.

              When I come to, I see this strange little creature pulling the goblin away. I hide more behind the mushroom patch I fell in. The goblin starts waking up, and the little creature beats it with a rock. I notice something shiny fall out of its pocket. Once it leaves with the goblin, I get up slowly. I walk over to the shiny thing, and notice it’s a ring. Why would it keep something like this? I slip it into my pocket, and follow the path the creature took. What I see is huge rocks everywhere, and this pond with the creature in the middle of it. He notices me, and glares. He tries to get closer, but I swing my sword. “Stay back!”I shout. I move back, trying to keep distance between us. The strange creature, which I learned is named Gollum, challenged me to a game of riddles. I end up winning them all, but he started chasing me because I had his ring. I run through tunnels, when I trip. The ring flies into the air, and I try catching it. It lands on my finger, and everything goes grey. That’s odd. I make my way through the tunnels, when I see the others. I try calling out to them, but they don’t hear me. After they pass, I sneak up behind Gollum. I get ready to kill him, but I can’t do. I jump over him, kicking him in the face.

           When I get to where the others are, I hear them talking about how I left them. “He had his chance to leave, and took it. He’s probably on his way back to his little Shire now,” Thorin says. I take off the ring, and come out of my hiding spot. “No I haven’t.” I say, and they all look shocked. Fili and Kili grin. They tackle me into a hug, and I chuckle. “We thought you gone, how did you get away?” Kili asks. I grin, and slide the ring into my pocket. “What does it matter? He is here now” Gandalf says, but Thorin looks mad. “It matters! Why did you come back?” he asks, looking annoyed. “Look, I know you doubt me. You’re right I miss my books, and my garden. You see that’s my home. You don’t have one, but I will try and help you get it back,” I say, smiling at him. He looks shocked, and smiles. He nods, and then I’m tackled in another hug. “Thank you!” Kili, Fili, Ori, and Bofur say, hugging the life out of me. “Can’t breathe!” I say, trying to get some air. They back up, and the others laugh. I notice Thorin’s looking at me strangely. I see happiness, but something else I can’t make out in his eyes. “Let’s find shelter, then rest for a bit,” Thorin says, and we all agree. As we are about to leave, we hear a warg’s howl. Great! What now?! Can’t we ever have a break?