Chapter 13

Molly and Arthur explained everything in the morning when they were all properly rested and fully awake, their anxious faces telling the severity of the circumstances. On the other hand, Draco finally stopped convulsing and had settled in a deep sleep on the sofa. Molly had cleaned the stains of blood on the cover and draped him with a clean blanket as he arrived in nothing but his trousers which is now torn and filthy. Although everyone was mum over the situation, his presence in the Burrow was like a lighthouse amidst a calm pitch-black night. Their views are contradicting in regards to him staying but everything was decided and planned so it seems. "I wouldn't have the slime ball sleeping with us here." Ron said at one point as to which Molly Weasley reprimanded him about the importance of helping others and forgiving. In the end, kindness won and even though some of them are feeling half-hearted about it, they all agreed to look after who used to be their nemesis.

In the entirety of their informal meeting, Hermione was throwing nervously glances at the living room where he sleeps. Their undisclosed row in the room of requirement was odd enough that she intentionally distance herself from him ever since and Draco being here made everything difficult than it already was.

"You tell her." Arthur murmured.

"She hates him." Molly replied looking at him incredulously.

"She's logical and kind."

Hermione turned towards the low tense voices of Arthur and Molly who were standing from a distance, throwing nervous glances at her direction.

"Again, she hates him."

"Alright, now she's looking. Go." Arthur said, giving a light push to the plump woman.

Hesitantly, Molly treads carefully towards Hermione after throwing her husband a deathly glare.

"Uh—Erm—Hermione, how's that potion going?" Molly asked. She's wearing a yellow jumpsuit with red polka dots under a purple apron with a large W sewn on the center.

"I'm finished, one vial a day for a week should do it." She replied.

"Splendid! Listen dear." With an overdue calming breath, Molly began. "I'll be arranging Order of the Phoenix meetings in Grimmauld Place and I was wondering if—if you could—look after Malfoy for a while and—"

"You want me to heal him?" Hermione cut off, her voice rose to a level. "You actually trust me with him, you're not afraid I'll kill him?"

"George and the others will be here, they'll help you—"

"Then why not ask them instead?" she moaned, her face etched with stress.

"You know why. Malfoy is in a bad condition and you're the most qualified person that can bring his strength back."

"Molly, I'm not going to heal him! He despise me and—"

From the living room, Draco let out a loud groan as if to agree.

"I know this may be hard for you dear but he needs our help and he's been reprieved by the Ministry so we have to abide by Kingsley's orders, and it seems like he promised him something."

"He did, I was there." Hermione deadpanned, she was eyeing Draco's motionless figure on the sofa. After taking four long breathes and swallowing the anguish wedged in her throat she murmured, "Okay" nodding in defeat.

"Thank you, we better be off then. We'll be coordinating meetings with Kingsley now." Molly gave her arm a light squeeze. "If he misbehaves, you know what to do."

"In his state, he's smart not to." Hermione replied.

For the entire day Draco was asleep, Hermione wanders cautiously in the living room, checking him from time to time. Like a curious moth to a fire. She waited for him to wake up, noticing tiny details each time she regarded him with her eyes but he remained unresponsive until sundown, neither a twitch nor a shift in position and before she could memorize his face by staring at the sleeping Slytherin, Hermione walked closer to him with a deep frown on her face. For the first time since Molly's request she measures the situation in her head. It did not bode well with her, yes she begins to see some redeeming quality in him and yes he might be capable of actual feelings as far as she can tell from their little banter at the room of requirement, but it does not erase the fact that in true nature she loathes him. His insults are etched on her skin permanently that even though there were times she was kind to him it was just a result of strong sympathy. Above all else, he is not that easy to forgive.