XIII

Dance, Dance, Dance - Lykke Li

Cheryl's P.O.V

We took my car but I didn't get behind the wheel. I was feeling too overwhelmed to be focusing on driving. Kai started the engine without a word while I fastened my seatbelt. The club we needed to get to was located out of town. That would give me some time for reflexion.

I kicked off my sandals and pulled my knees to my chest, seeking more comfort, not so much physical but mental. I felt light-headed, trying to make sense of my own existence. Words were lacking but all feelings and emotions were on deck. In this moment, like other times before, I was a shell of a woman.

Kai's P.O.V

Cheryl was silent, most probably upset. She was buried in her thoughts, looking at the window.

 She was buried in her thoughts, looking at the window

I understand her, I relate to her. When people keep betraying you, in the end, you come to expect it and yet, you never recover from it. It scars you, it cuts you deep. A revenge is like a band aid but you don't realize the depth of the wound you're trying to heal.

*

Cheryl's P.O.V

"Take left at the next turn and it should be further ahead.", I informed Kai while checking again the address marked on the map that I was using on my phone.

We drove for a few minutes before Kai parked the car when we finally arrived to our destination. We both got out of the vehicule and studied the club, a dance club.

"What's her name again ? Ashleen ?", Kai asked with a spark in his eye.

"Yeah, why ?"

"She called the place 'Killeen It'.", he raised his eyebrows in disbelief to which I responded by a raise of my shoulders.

Kai got in easily, whereas I, had to show my ID. We followed the glowing signs and as soon as we reached the end of the hallway, the lights, smoke and music woke all our senses and filled the main room. The place was full of people dancing to the music or drinking at the bar.

We needed to find Ashleen, get answers from her. Being a powerful well-known witch, she was aware of everything that had happened, was happening or would happen. From what I heard, she liked to make appearances so it wouldn't be that hard for us to track her down. The first thing to look for was the VIP area because, logically, that's where she would be in the club. She wouldn't leave her loyal clients' side for anything.

"It must be upstairs, it's almost always upstairs.", informs Kai.

I narrowed my eyes at him, not knowing how he would have known that.

"This is a club full of vampires but it's still a typical club, you know." He sighed while raising his eyebrows and we made our way through the crowd before an unsuspected criteria stopped us in our tracks.

"Does VIP stands for 'Vampires In Particular' ? 'Cause we ain't getting in as long as we're not blood suckers."

Kai was right, I had a sense the good amount of people upstairs definitely wasn't human.

Once again we had to come up with a plan.

"We have to be vampires...", I trailed off thoughtfully.

"We could just snuck in, do our business, then leave."

"That'd be too easy, someone is going to bust us; a vampire or worse, Ashleen herself."

"Well becoming vampires is definitely out of the question so..."

I wasn't sure if Kai was almost suggesting giving up and leaving this place or if he was cultivating a chaotic idea in his brain. I turned around to face him and looked at him straight in the eye.

"Do you trust me ?"