Chapter 6

I huff irritatedly as I wander around the vast expanse of Imladris. How does anybody find anything around here? Let alone one single golden-haired elf?

I haven't really come across any elves, and the ones I did come across, I couldn't bring myself to query. My thoughts have kept me from boredom however.

I honestly don't think that the Glorfindel I know, is the Glorfindel in that history book, but the fact that he is a supposedly high ranking elf hints that there is a possibility... No. No! I sigh in frustration. Why do I even care so much?

That's it.

I stop.

I scowl.

And I promptly march towards the garden. I refuse to look for that empty-headed blonde any longer. I stop and look around. Well... Guess I'll have to figure out where the garden is first. I huff and close my eyes, concentrating on the various turns and staircases I had taken.

"You haven't fallen asleep have you?"

I scowl.

"Ohhhh, somebody isn't very happy..."

I open my eyes and glare at the fair-haired ellon. He grins cheekily in return. "What's gotten you into such a foul mood?" he queried, stepping closer.

"You," I answer bluntly. To my satisfaction, he looks vaguely surprised.

"Whatever have I done this time?" he says, taking a dramatic step back and placing a hand over his heart. In answer, I hold the book up in front of his face. He looks confused for a moment, before understanding dawns, and along with it, his face pales just a little.

And that's all I need.

"So it is true," I say quietly. "It was you?"

His eyes are still glued to the book as he slowly nods. I am not as irritated as I thought I would be with these circumstances. It's probably the look on his face that is softening my annoyance. I lower the book, and slowly his eyes move up and meet mine. It's when I stare into them, their vivid blue color unlike any I can recall seeing in this place, that I realize exactly how old he must be. Countless memories, of thousands of years long past, and hundreds of battles fought, swim in them, mingled with a deep sadness. It must be such a terrible burden.

To my surprise, he is the one to shift his eyes away, and not me.

"I am sorry," I say quietly, and am slightly relieved to see a smile in response.

"How were you to know?" he responds. "I'm sure you thought it untrue." Glorfindel gazes out the window to our right, his eyes glued onto the horizon. "Anyways, was another life. It is gone." I feel as if he his not speaking of just that life, but of other things. Things that hurt to remember. I am curious as to what his story is, but even I, the socially awkward, introverted one, know better than to ask.

At least he has his memories. It is far worse to know you had a past life, and not remember any of it.

oOo

After the occurrence the day before, Glorfindel has been his normal, annoyingly cheerful and positive self.

It is quite irritating.

"You know what I think about flowers?"

I groan. He's starting again. Glorfindel as this annoying tendency to prattle. I find it rather shocking, considering his age. He acts like he is an elfling. But I also find it horribly irritating. I can't find a moments peace, and I desperately want to finish this book. Yes, it's a work of fiction, but it is still terribly interesting.