Prologue

"It's almost finished," she whispered to herself. The engineer smiled as her hands worked the wires and cogs. Finally, she stood back to admire her work. It was a self-rocking cradle with a built-in music box for lullabies. The engineer smiled to herself. Rose will love it. The dainty woman pulled her googles off from her strawberry hair cut short at the ears. Rose was currently in the other room, her stomach full with a child. The engineer was worried at first, angry at the idea that a lowly commoner had created a child with her lovely Rose. But seeing Rose's delight gave her peace. Perhaps, a child isn't going to be bad after all.

Suddenly, a scream was heard from the other room. A short, stout girl burst into the workroom, her face drenched in sweat and panic. "P...Pearl! They're here! The Diamonds!" The engineer, referred as Pearl, felt her body tense. "That...that can't be! We have left no trace! Nothing!" Quickly, Pearl ripped up her gloves and threw them to the side. Grabbing her nearby swords, she and the other girl ran to Rose's room. Pearl's expression fell as they entered the room. There, laying in bed, was a pain-stricken Rose.

Rose was breathing heavily, her hand over her stomach. It took her a minute to realize someone else was with her. "Oh...huff...Amethyst...you've brought Pearl," the woman said, weakly smiling. Pearl and Amethyst rushed over to the bedside. "My lady! What is giving you such pain?" asked Pearl. The larger woman groaned, pushing on her stomach. "The child...I think they're coming..." she replied before giving another wince. Amethyst backed away slightly. "No! Not now! Rose, the Diamonds are here. The others are holding them off, but I don't know for how long,"

Rose looked back at Amethyst, her eyes betraying no hopelessness. "It's okay. I'm going to be okay. You two go help Garnet. I'll stay and deliver this baby myself," Pearl cried out in horror. "You can't do that! You need a doctor! I'll-" Rose held up her other hand to silence the engineer. "I've delivered countless children. I'm sure I can deliver mine," Amethyst wailed in protest. "Rose, I don't think you understand-" Rose shook her head. "I understand, but my child is coming. They need to be safe at all costs," Amethyst bit her lip. "Rose, the Diamonds have Greg, "

******
BANG. Garnet felt metal crash against her skull. She cursed, her will breaking. The woman was strong but she was outnumbered. Her head was ringing and she was sure Judgement Day was upon her. Garnet's limbs ached and bled, and her muscles laid still on the ground. C'mon. She hissed at herself. Move body. Move and fight. But doubts quickly covered her and the desire to fight was burning out. There's just too many of them. It's hopless. Give up. Just lay here. Swallowing whatever logic and doubts Garnet had, she forced herself back up.

Again, she was swinging at enemies. Her steam-powered gauntlets crashed into others to and fro, the sound of metal radiating through the air. What am I fighting for? "Garnet!" a voiced called out. Garnet shot her head in its direction. Her comrades stood nearby, fighting with their weapons. The petite pearl struck her swords into the hearts of Diamond soldiers, the amethyst cracking her electro-whips alongside her. Other Clockworkers fought alongside of them. This..this is what I am fighting for.

Determined filled the woman as she pushed towards them. "Clockworkers!" she shouted. "We need to look out for Greg! I think another wave is coming with him!" Understanding Garnet's message, the three Clockworkers more efficiently defeated the first wave of Diamond soldiers. It wasn't long before Garnet was caught up on Rose's current state and the arrival of the next soldiers. Thundering down the street was a procession of artifical horses with a single yellow carriage in the center. The sound of metal clipping the rubble, it shook Garnet's heart.